1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Ferrari DLC & 1.15 - Discuss Away

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Schnipp, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Mogster

Mogster Alien

For Logitech users it’s worth trying Aris’s settings in the Logitech thread.

He has more damping set than default via the ini file, he recommends gyro also, no enhanced understeer. The extra damping took some getting used to but it adds a bit of realism, it also eliminates dead zone pretty much.

I don’t tinker with the FF much, just reduce gain to around 80%. The cars feel different but that’s how it should be imo.

2. Kade

Kade Hardcore Simmer

Yeah, I really shouldn't be reading (or responding) on forums when tired. I misread (and -understood) his post completely.

However there's one thing that I've understood as a "philosophy of AC" and that would be the sim's goal to feel as close as possible to real life instead of trying to take everything that's known into account. There's more complex tyre models on the market but as far as I know they're almost impossible to get to match real life tyre data. Too many things and you'll have a mess in your hands that was way too ambitious and the end-result has so much error than in the end the simpler "data matched" model wins any day.

How this has to do with FFB? The canned effects of FFB do not really give any extra information to the sim-driver. I would rather call them "noise effects". However tyre scrub radius a variable in real life that can be modified through steering geometry to change how suspension elements are loaded during cornering but more importantly what kind of feedback the driver gets from the front tyres through steering wheel. AFAIK this is the area where AC has been "purist" like some other titles have been with their tyre models. Steering rack forces are calculated as close as possible to real life and transferred to the FFB wheel multiplied by a value so torque of a low-price wheel can be informative instead of always 100%. And that's where purist thinking will NOT give the "closest to real life experience" unless you happen to drive direct-drive wheel with enough torque to be as informative as the real thing. "Cheap" wheels (and even DDWs) with limited torque would greatly benefit with adjustable scrub radius (even only as a FFB effect) so the information in the wheel could be "enhanced" in realistic way closer to the real life information value.

3. magzire

magzire Alien

I've being thinking this for ages, why are Kunos F1s so floppy? Then the RSS mod is amazing. I do notice they have a power steering option in the setup. Why don't Kuno's do something similar?

Please Kuno's, please sort out the modern F1, there is something wrong with the feeling

4. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

I disagree with this opinion. For me Assetto Corsa is one of the best Formula cars simulators. And I say that because of Kunos cars, not mods.

5. It's not the steer assist. Like Aristotelis said it might be the difference in scrub radius but I agree, it is hard to believe a steering feel purist like Kimi would drive a car with absolutely zero feedback through the wheel. I'd love to drive the car but it makes me feel like I'm driving some pCars instead.

6. magzire

magzire Alien

Well for me the F138 feels like I'm driving Forza. Just can't seem to get a feel of the road, then the FFB is extremely floppy on turn in then suddenly snaps mid turning. Very acardy feeling.

Automobilista has the best open wheelers by far. However RSS Hybrid is my favourite open wheeler to drive.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  7. magzire

magzire Alien

If they have the choice to make FBB better for users by allowing this option seems like a no brainer. I get the feeling Aris is not a huge fan of the modern F1 and don't get the full loving

Also I heard physics can be a dark art, so some values won't work. So maybe just give us these values :)

8. magzire

magzire Alien

Are you using a Logitech?

9. No they don't - STEER ASSIST in AC is not 'power steering' in the traditional sense, its essentially a speed multiplier only to be used for high downforce cars; At low speed it boosts the FFB signal since you have low downforce, then at high downforce where the wheel would be hard to turn due to the downforce, the FFB signal is reduced.

The RSS car has this option availible in the setup menu (100% means completely linear, ie no steer assist), whereas Kunos don't have this option open in the setup menu - However, the cars still have it, just not open to adjust.

10. Jebus

Jebus Alien

This. I haven't touched rss formula hybrid since the release of sf70h.

Trezoitao38 likes this.
  11. A bit misleading because it's not just the downforce but all the forces coming through at any speeds. Non-linear steer assist Kunos is using boosts low forces because the feel would be too light for weaker wheels without heavy load pushing the car. Downside of it is that if you have the power to replicate what FFB code is asking, you get high jolts and possible oscillation when the forces should be weaker.

12. Right, but only used for cars with high downforce - all others are set to linear.

13. True. The part that got me was the "speed multiplier" thing.

You can ruin every car with non-linear FFB in the same way. Including high downforce open wheelers. :)

14. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Why would he want the wheel jerking around in his hands responding to every bump in the road?

mms likes this.
  15. It doesn't "jerk around". In AC, and in this case we are talking about giving nothing vs. giving little something. I don't know how the effect translate between rl and sim so I'm only talking about the result FFB code outputs.

16. unknwn

unknwn Alien

Do you think that F2004 or SF15 wheels are "jerking" too much or providing superior driving feedback compared to SF70H in terms of weight transfer/tires loading up/understeer?
    If you can answer this question when it must be clear whats this fuss is about.

Even pcars can do better than SF70H :p

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    magzire likes this.
  17. PhilS13

PhilS13 Alien

The extra jerking from big scrub radius has nothing to do with "weight transfer/tires loading up/understeer". Nothing.

The drop in self-aligning torque and overall FFB drop with increasing slip is almost the exact same for both cars and anyway if you are using that to find the limit of the tyre you need to relearn.

The major difference between the cars is the steer ratio and no one even talked about it. Too busy trying to feel the bumps in the steering I guess.

18. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

Agree, did the same thing.

V8_KB and mantasisg 2 like this.
  19. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Yeah I did the same thing too, lets be honest it was because @baronesbc told us to do so, and he was absolutely destroying everyone in that session

V8_KB likes this.
  20. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

That isn't uncommon for baronesbc :p I couldn't go as far into neg camber as him though, too much understeer, I have no idea how he made it go so fast with such understeeryness (technical term) but it was a great tip for improving stability and I think a valid point V8 made. The old verison of the 250F wandered a lot less with camber change also.

V8_KB and mantasisg 2 like this.