1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Why AC is not a service?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Gabox01, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Kevko

Kevko Rookie

I am a regular user of iracing. It truly is the best option for pickup racing. AC could very easily give a similar experience by borrowing one small aspect, without going all out and requiring a subscription based model.

Simply add a feature similar to iRating (call it acRating :p), and give server admins the ability to set a minimum required acRating to join their server.

It should be possible for modders to add this feature as a plugin, assuming that the AC devs give servers the ability to require certain plugins for racers to join a server. But I really hope that the AC devs decide to implement this themselves, as requiring a plugin is just another hurdle for racers to jump through that will limit potential racers by some degree.

alius likes this.
  2. Saliiim

Saliiim Racer

I have been looking into iRacing a lot recently, but currently on my student budget it isn't worth it for me, however I start work next year, so I will no doubt be buying into it.

Backmarker likes this.
  3. Saliiim

Saliiim Racer

I'm not familiar with iRating, but I would imagine that I'd probably be stuck on a very low rating for quite some time (being very new to sim racing, despite trying my best to be considerate), and it would be interesting to see how many servers someone like myself could actually get into.

4. In the Nords DLC thread you are outraged that the devs would have DLC within a year of the game being released and yet you are looking at iracing.......You really don't seem the type that wants to spend a thousand dollars on a game; no offense meant.

5. Saliiim

Saliiim Racer

You are, still, missing the point. It is NOT about the money, it is the point that an unfinished game, is already having DLC planned for day one. That is typical Activision or EA practice, I don't expect that from Kunos.

If you want to discuss the Nords DLC, I suggest you keep it to the Nords DLC thread.

6. Maxidyne

Maxidyne Hardcore Simmer

I'm very glad that Kunos haven't decided to make this an 100% online game. I've been playing racing games and sims since the late 90's, and I never really cared for MP. There is only a small percentage of sim racers that are serious about racing. They are hard to find. (at least for me) Most MP races are a destruction derby, and I think most of those players are kids. Let's just see how MP on AC develops. It's one of the best racing sims ever, thanks Kunos!

Saliiim likes this.
  7. Saliiim

Saliiim Racer

Agree, I like MP, but I'm glad it isn't exclusively mp.

8. Kevko

Kevko Rookie

It's just a number approximating your skill.

If you finish a race in a position better than expected, you gain rating. If you finish a race in a position worse than expected, you lose points.

Where you expect to finish is based on the ratings of your opponents. The strength of your opponents' ratings also factor into how many points you earn/lose.

I wouldn't worry about not being able to find servers. There will always be beginner servers available, I am sure.

But what you bring up is a good point. iRacing has iRating as well as safety rating (SR). I thought that SR is not necessary, but I guess having the 2nd rating measure and using SR instead of irating to restrict people from joining servers would be better. This way, if someone falls to the level where it is hard to find races, they could build it back up by doing clean laps in single player or other modes.

Regarding iRacing, it is not as expensive as people make it out to be, but you do have to know about the available deals. The $1000 quoted by Michael Hornbuckle above is quite an exaggeration. But this being about AC, it would be better further discussed elsewhere. Feel free to PM me if you would like more info.

9. I have over $900 spent just on content and I am still missing close to a dozen pieces....but yeah, I'm exaggerating

I think every sim-racer should at least sign up over there and see if they like it..

TCLF likes this.
  10. Saliiim

Saliiim Racer

That's the reason I'm not a huge fan of the model that iracing uses. If I were solely a sim racer I probably wouldn't mind spending larger amounts of money on a single title, but I play a wide variety of games so everything I spend could be spent on an entirely new game.
    It feels to me that unless you know exactly which type of cars you like racing and on precisely which tracks, iRacing is going to cost a looooooot of money.
    I'd rather spend $900 on an i7 and a GTX 780 for my sexy PC.

11. Kevko

Kevko Rookie

My statement is of course based on some assumptions on how Saliim will use iracing, and based on my own experience. Most people would not own close to all of the content on both road and oval.

At that price you have paid, I would have to assume that you did not take advantage of the bulk content discounts each time. But that is only speculation on my part. Please do not take offense.

12. Claus Sartor

Claus Sartor Rookie

You mean crappy mods like DayZ, Diaspora, Dota and Counter-strike?

In iRacing, the items you "buy" is loocked if you dont keep paying for the service. It's waay too expensive for 90% of the sim driver out there, and while iRacing online features is more mature than the corrent alpha build, im sure this model will attract a way bigger playerbase that will in return generate more income and a much bigger community.

iRacing failed, and AC wont make the same mistake.

RIP iRacing.

13. RIP iRacing ?
    LOL you can dislike their system (iRating , expensive tracks , cars , etc ) but clearly not says this is a dead game . At this time and probably for a long time ; it give a 10x better multiplayer racing experience than assetto corsa.
    Solid mature community.

JZ4 likes this.
  14. Saliiim

Saliiim Racer

In fairness, modding for AC is going to be a lot harder than for HL and ARMA, if the physics is done properly the vehicle mods will be worthless, I hate to think where you'd even begin with that.

15. The mod tools aren't even out yet and there is a group of guys that already have a Daytona Prototype Corvette mod running so it shouldn't be that hard for somebody that somewhat knows what they are doing

16. Claus Sartor

Claus Sartor Rookie

You are saing that a 6 year old game has a better online setup over a 3 day old Alpha build!
    I wont argue about that, but thats not the point.

Players are stuck with DLC they cannot connect to without paying a monthly fee, just like an MMO.
    This fact keeps iRacing from ever getting any bigger, while subs are dwindling.. hence "RIP iRacing"

I never said anything about rating. LFS is an 11 year old game with server entry rating.. works fine.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  17. Gerben

Gerben Gamer

I have been laying sims for 20 years now and i can say that for me

IRacing offers the best online racing experience ever
    but AC offers the best bang for the buck

simple as that

AC will rely on modding community to invent/create apps/systems to create a good racing experience (free) while iRacing created their own service (pay more).

Having both options is only a bonus for the sim-community.

18. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Well as iRacing allegedly only has 20'000 sunbscribers and is yet to make any money then I wouldn't exactly call it a roaring success.

It'll be interesting to see how long John Henry' s willing to take the wallet hit to support his particular gaming vision.

Michael Springer likes this.
  19. Rodrigo Pires

Rodrigo Pires Simracer

People completely miss the point of why iRacing has good pickup racing.

It isnt safety rating or irating that make people behave better. Its about acountability and investment made. Would you risk being banned/suspended after spending at least $100-200? Never!

iRacings rookie servers are not much different from any other sim.

Would you pay $100 a year for an AC server with live steward 24/7 and a rulebook? Thats the "iracing model" that can be implemented.

20. Rodrigo Pires

Rodrigo Pires Simracer

iRacing never turned a profit. How long can they survive like that?

Michael Springer likes this.