1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

GPU prices... is this going to kill PC gaming?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by arthur666, Feb 1, 2018.

1. colombianomd

colombianomd Racer

There was a recommended solution which is a bit absurd, however, ingenious, and Machiavellian.

The approach is for gamers to use their GPUs to mine which would in turn drive up the respective algorithms' difficulty to the point where they are not profitable for miners. This eventually would deter many miners or would be miners. The old, "if you can't beat them, join them" approach.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

MrDeap likes this.
  2. Octane

Octane Simracer

MrDeap likes this.
  3. MartyBook

MartyBook Simracer

My gtx 1080ti is now double the price I paid for it end of nov 17. On amazon now for £1200! It’s crazy

I spotted one incorrectly priced at £1 the other day, snapped it up there and then but they cancelled the order the next morning lol. Worth a punt

MrDeap and paul_wev like this.
  4. KillZoneGB

KillZoneGB Simracer

when I was around 10 yrs old, I had to go over the road to the coop, to purchase some washing powder.

On the Box had two price tags, the manageress told me by consumer rights, I could buy the washing powder for the lowest ticket price.

a few years down the road, I went into a Indian corner shop,
    fancied a Mars Bar (choc) there was two price tags, one the official Price stated by the company,
    And a marked up ticket price set by the owner of the shop.

Lets just say I paid the lowest price, he threatened to call the police, and I said go on.

Slammed down the 24pence and walked out of the shop with a mars bar.

The moral of the story is: Always pay for the lowest price marked.

Anyhoo thinking of selling my 1080, hmmmm complete new system for when the bubble bursts j/k

5. magzire

magzire Alien

I still don't understand bitcoin and why it's valued so high

MrDeap likes this.
  6. Orne

Orne Alien

MrDeap and arthur666 like this.
  7. Octane

Octane Simracer

There's a shortage of supply to demand.
    For many there's a demand because its not regulated by a government. That's the simple way of saying it.
    https://www.express.co.uk/finance/c...e-record-high-why-is-bitcoin-rising-BTC-value
    Other reasons for demand are money laundering, drug trafficking and as Orne alludes to it allows for unregulated international transfer of funds.
    https://www.coindesk.com/dea-report-bitcoin-used-trade-based-money-laundering/

MrDeap, arthur666 and magzire like this.
  8. Am I correct in assuming that the reason for the massive price increases on graphics cards is simply because they have all been snapped up by these BitCoin surfers, and there are not enough cards being produced to replace them?

MrDeap likes this.
  9. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Well this whole thread is basically about that...

First of all how does even bitcoin is legal, how it is even considered as money ? To me it is all figet spinners again. Fools gold ?

MrDeap likes this.
  10. Turk

Turk Alien

I think that's pretty much European law, if there's an advertised price the seller can't change it at the till. Maybe it's just an Irish law, there was a big scandal about the price of pints and putting up prices after a certain time a few years ago. So if you go into an Irish bar and see a price for a a drink written somewhere they have to give it to you for that price. Probably works for food and other stuff too, but it was drink that people cared about.

MrDeap, KillZoneGB and paul_wev like this.
  11. colombianomd

colombianomd Racer

You mean you don't own any?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

MrDeap and mantasisg 2 like this.
  12. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

Fidget spinners were hot for about 3 minutes. Bitcoin has been around for 10 years but most people have just heard of it recently, guarantee this won't be the last they hear of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_bitcoin

MrDeap likes this.
  13. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

14. BitCoin
    BlockChain
    BullCrap

I'm seeing a pattern here...

MrDeap likes this.
  15. MartyBook

MartyBook Simracer

From what I’ve read ( having a vested interest ), the seller can cancel any order at anytime up until it’s despatched with no comeback and without needing to specify a reason. If the order has already been charged for at that point they just have to refund the money.

I write eBay order and inventory management software for a living and this is news to me also as I was always under the impression that, as you suggest, the advertised price has to be honoured.

Maybe online checkout rules differ from physical checkout rules in that respect

MrDeap and Turk like this.
  16. Turk

Turk Alien

I just checked Irish law and it says mistakes happen, if the price ends up being higher than expected at the till you can just not buy it. But the seller is supposed to notify you of the higher price. It looks like it allows for mistakes in pricing and giving the seller the benefit of the doubt. But I think there are laws in place if a supermarket was shown to be intentionally misrepresenting prices and overcharging at the till.

There's a grey area that would require an investigation and evidence of consistent abuse to be able to prosecute someone it seems.

MrDeap likes this.
  17. mms

mms Alien

Just to clarify, AFAIK it's not bitcoin mining that is driving GPU prices high, it's more other cryptocurrencies like Ethereum, Litecoin which run a different proof-of-work algorithm that requires lots of fast memory. Hopefully Ethereum switches soon to proof-of-stake, that should somewhat help (but probably other currencies will start to pop up that use the same algorithm).

Anyways, it's a nasty thing, hope it bursts soon enough, these things should be illegal, the tech behind is interesting, but people making lots of money out of thin air does not sound right...

misterbeam, Tomcul and arthur666 like this.
  18. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    paul_wev and martcerv like this.
  19. mms

mms Alien

20. Octane

Octane Simracer

...........annnnnnddddddddddd...........
    Here's why there is a shortage of cards. Go to 2:36 for the short version.