1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Interesting article with formula renault 2.0 driver severin austerschmidt

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Michael Hornbuckle, May 6, 2015.

1. yusupov

yusupov Alien

i think its correct except that the slider does have an effect on those #s, so reversing it is same as reversing it in notepad, using 50% would be w/e 50% force is, etc.

2. haxxx

haxxx Simracer

Maybe my wheel isn't the best in the market but i swear that i tried every settings possible before trying this thing of the "soft lock" and now i'm happy about ffb and i think it isn't imagination at all because in some ways this workaround seems to impact in the response of the wheel and the overall force feedback. I don't know then about other people... I can't speak for myself because i haven't tried other sims because i have got a wheel only recently and i tried only iRacing. At the end, i think everyone has its personal preferences ;)

yusupov likes this.
  3. As long as we are completely off topic, here are my DFGT settings that feels great to me:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brake Gamma should be 3.5 or so for stock dfgt pedals.

youwerelucky likes this.
  4. Traind

Traind Hardcore Simmer

The early comments in the interview about so called "difficult" sims vs. "easy" ones just don't seem that accurate for the current state of simracing-- mostly I am speaking about referencing iRacing as similar to GPL. iRacing used to be really slippery... it just isn't anymore. The tire model has changed quite a bit--- cars feel like they have significantly more low speed grip than they used to and you can catch slides as well. I agree it is not quite as easy to catch slides as in some titles but I can a decent amount of the time in iRacing and I am very far from an alien, that's for sure.

RF2-- with it's realroad tech aiding an "edgy" tire and suspension model can still feel slippery to me --particularly depending on vehicle and track condition. That being said, in its favor... RF2 has great FFB which somewhat counteracts that and allows you to sense things getting a way from you nicely. It's still probably the "hardest" of the sims regarding handling for me though.

5. yusupov

yusupov Alien

re iR: its the only sim i really feel like i need to adjust to if ive been away for a bit. i always find the ffb appalling & find myself drifting into lazy, uncorrectable slides that just dont happen in other games. after awhile i adjust & these arent problems. but then (& i do think this has been getting better) there are still too many times where the only way to 'correct' is to (if you react in time, you pretty much have to be on-guard if your reflexes arent cat-like) just jerk the wheel back & forth forcefully & rapidly...i dont see this in any other sim. i agree there is a ton of grip, id say the cars are as grippy as any serious sim, & thats fine, but unlike others after 0.01 seconds there seems to be a point of no return if you havent manhandled the car back into shape.

6. Tim Meuris

Tim Meuris Simracer

nice article, seems like a down to earth guy
    more articles like that please!

7. Traind

Traind Hardcore Simmer

Although I think the FFB is pretty good in iRacing, I do think there are fainter signals in the FFB of impending oversteer than in some other titles. As far as having to have cat like reflexes... in some real life situations you need exactly that. Not all tires/cars are easy to catch. I have spun on track due to my reflexes being too slow-- particularly in cooler weather.

yusupov likes this.
  8. nonnex

nonnex Alien

Back to the article...

Severin said somthin notable about the feedback.

"I think what annoys me the most about Force Feedback in general is the way most games handle the car regaining grip. It’s all wrong. In real life, sometimes the wheel just snaps a certain direction when the tires find grip after losing it, and our consumer wheels don’t do that."

Well, here he is speaking about the things that can be felt in "real" on a wheel that many of us can comprehend. In other words: "what is left when you substract the but meter, gravity forces and so on, but the wheel?"
    It is indeed one thing that can be inproved more for sure.

This leads me to an old idea. Does have any simdev has ever sensored the wheelforces or factor while driving -for example the nord- etc?

Im not talking about Ac or other sims. Just in general. I can understand the temptation to use FFB for a lot of things just for imersion, but the main focus should still be to represent the feedback that drivers would expect.

It is not the job of the wheel FFB to suggest you a G+ accel|deceleration or "whatever other forces" that occure but can not mainly be felt on the wheel.

About the DD thing, I will order one, no matter if its 100% supported in AC or not. It's just because the technical facts of a DD that speaks for them self. 1:1 signal transfer, torque, 1:1 encoder resolution etc...
    Since I'm a hardware freak... it's a must have and when games support it, then great and if not, ... then I have a nice brushless servo+controller that I can use for a lot of other things ... hehe

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  9. Some Guy

Some Guy Racer

I read that passage differently, that he was saying IRL "the wheel just snaps" in a way that can't be reproduced by "our consumer wheels." I.e. there's a limit to how fast a consumer FFB wheel can be made to move/snap from one position to another and it's a lot slower than an IRL wheel snaps "when the tires find grip." That being the case, this isn't something that can be improved, in software anyhow. I can't be sure that's what he really meant, that's just how I read it.

10. Radiantm3

Radiantm3 Hardcore Simmer

iRacing is completely unrealistic when it comes to correcting oversteer. It's far easier in real life. AC does a very good job.

11. nonnex

nonnex Alien

No, you have read it right. The fact is, that "consumer" (which are not bad at all) are not able to represent the forces that can occure in real. The time is not a big factor even when the consumer wheels are equipped with belts, translations etc... it does'nt count much.
    The DirectDrive, nearly null null zone, faster resposne and so on... is just a detail thing, but it can be felt.

I think many of us has driven karts or have other exp. like that (talking about 1hour+ driving nonstop on race conditions). Driving affords a lot of endurance because of the counter forces, and that just for the wheel. This can hurt badly in your arms and not just there when your not in condition... hehe

This (just for an example of the wheel), can only be done with a motor that is able to produce according Nm's.

To be clear, it is absolutely not necessary to have such a beast to play race sims, but if we talk about forces and what can be done theoretically to have just one little step towards real, then well... yes... why not.

12. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

~1700€ for a little step towards realism is quite a step for me. But enjoy your DD, I'm just a bit envious :(

13. nonnex

nonnex Alien

ahhh, dont talk like that. It's like a kid that daddy don't want to buy his toy...
    We are talking theoretically and not about prices.

DD is the future. There are many reasons for that, because
    - servos are getting cheaper in general, why?
    - they getting smaller without loss of torque (more sells because of the robotic needs=less costs),
    - translations are not needed anymore (less costs),
    - design (smaller place needed=less costs),
    - technically better then the current alternatives
    - and finally much more other advantages in detail, etc...

Be happy about that, it will getting cheaper, not now but near...

14. Traind

Traind Hardcore Simmer

It isn't that hard in iRacing anymore... that's part of my point. "Completely unrealistic" just isn't accurate in 2015. I do like AC in this regard although many think it is a bit too easy to catch it.

15. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

For an equivalent price of my T500 I'm in the boat...:)

16. nonnex

nonnex Alien

Just a matter of time

17. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Although my buddies stated I'm nuts paying 600€ for a set of game controllers :cool:
    (They don't do racing sims though, but their input left me thinking a bit)

sherpa25 likes this.
  18. nonnex

nonnex Alien

I had fishing as a hobby some time ago.... do you have an Idea what does a good Equip costs? don't mind what other say. Every hobby costs.
    If I would live in Texas my hobby would be shooting on empty beer cans, the target is cheap but a good gun|rifle... well... more then 600

sherpa25, yusupov and Tim Meuris like this.
  19. Radiantm3

Radiantm3 Hardcore Simmer

People who haven't tried to catch it in real life? :) It's actually easier to catch a slide in real life than in AC since you can actually feel the tires and forces from the seat.

Last time I played iRacing was about 2 months ago. Didn't feel realistic then. They even have 2 laser-scanned tracks that I am VERY familiar with in real life.

20. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

I still think there is a difference between doing a RL hobby compared to a virtual one. I'm into music, and it feels much more convincing buying a Guitar for 2000€ than investing in a game controller. May be I'm old...