1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Open letter to kunos regarding oculus rift support

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Kaputtnik, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Lowkey

Lowkey Racer

I'd personally disagree with the shrinked potential market. Yes nobody expected the price, but this was mainly due to their incorrect hints about how much it would be (they apologized for it).

In terms of market shrinking, I disagree, they have been manufacturing the Consumer Version since September, and they've already sold every single one they have made and will make in the future. If you order today, it will be delivered in JULY. Pre-orders for CV1 has been up for only 10 DAYS.

EDIT: DK2 will be SDK 1.0 compatible too.

People spend crazy money on sim racing, triple screens, motion rigs, cockpits or just wheels. VR is a game changer and a 0.1% guess is very off IMO. You're talking about catering to a small user base, but VR (and other unrelated features) also pull in more people.

--

On a side note, VR users for AC have already been very patient. I've been using ONLY the rift since it was implemented more than a year ago (at least 800 hours). I understand DK2 support is limited, it's a developer kit etc, I understand all of that. But more than a year of VR users waiting for even small additions such as loading default setups can't be that difficult to implement. I'm not a coder or somebody who is able to tell how much resources should be assigned to which development, but at least default setups should have surely been done by now. You'd be surprised at how many people bought and rarely touched (or holding off) AC due to the limited VR support (just follow the VR scene, or /r/Oculus) which can become something people can live with with stuff like loading default setups.

As a big believer in VR (even for non sim use), but I believe VR currently, is best suited for Sim Racing. A big problem in VR is locomotion (how you get around) and INPUT devices. Sim racing doesn't have any of those, we have wheels, and we're sat down. It's a perfect match.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    Kaputtnik, Dewbs and SimDrive like this.
  2. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Lol at the "Open Letter" Its just another forum post no need to go all dramatic.

Maybe everyone should start every post by calling it an open letter to make their opinion seem somehow more important then it actually is. :D

3. Lowkey

Lowkey Racer

This thread is a result of the Oculus subreddit in order to try to make the AC devs aware of the early SDK 1.0 access if they aren't already.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/417zgs/lets_give_the_assetto_corsa_devs_a_wakeup_call/

Kaputtnik and Dewbs like this.
  4. Dewbs

Dewbs Gamer

[​IMG]

Oct 2015

5. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Its still just a forum thread like every other, it says your views and you think calling it an open letter will force a dev to pay more attention to your opinion. I think it more then likely will make them ignore it and you could have added your post to the many other threads on the same topic.

Its just a poor marketing technique, like the rift claiming shortages of availability to make more people jump on the pre order scam. They could easily do a full rollout of product with an official launch, but they know it would likely fail so they are using the sketchy pre order faked limited supply, to try get more people believe its a bigger seller then it is. Supposed scarcity gets more impulse buyers and there is no reason the rift with facebook money cant do a proper product release so they are simply using this silly marketing technique as they know it will sell more ujits then a regular retail release.

So in the end all those that believe the hype and how popular this supposedly is or will be will get a shock when its not a high priority for many devs. The actual user base will be a very small percantage in AC, they said they will support it at some point. I dont see why they need to go out of their way to be ready for the staggered fake launch unless they also fall for the bs.

At least oculus is saying themselves they won't make too many units early so it will give devs even less reason to make retail release support a very high priority.

Ace Pumpkin, LeDude83 and nate like this.
  6. PhenOm

PhenOm Alien

idk why this thread is needed.
    Kunos already confirmed that they'll be supporting Oculus as soon as the first batch of actual (no dev kits) vrheadsets gets released.
    And don't forget that only a real minority of users will be getting the oculus due to the very high price tag.

LeDude83, nate and Mogster like this.
  7. Lowkey

Lowkey Racer

I like how you included a lot of sources for your ridiculous speculations. What are you basing all of what you wrote on? If you think that it's a big scam and it will all fail, just stop reading and don't consider pre-ordering. It's pretty simple. I feel like you're one of those guys that looks out for triangles in music videos and calls out ILLUMINATI!

Back on topic, I'm not answering to your posts anymore.

Kaputtnik, JoeMoore and ears1991 like this.
  8. martcerv

martcerv Alien

The time of the facebook deal they said this will help them mass produce, now they all of a sudden are on limited supply again lol.

No reason at all why they cant do a mass rollout globably as used to be the way in the past. The pre order is simply to get people commited to them over possible competitors months before actual delivery.

By making it apear a limited supply they will get more people to still pay more then they wanted and pre order when there is no actual benefit to doing so. They also limit losses by only selling to order rather then manufacture in large numbers which is a risk if sales are well below target and they get stuck with lots of unsold stock.

You wanted a link, so here is the basic marketing method clearly used here.

https://www.bfscapital.com/blog/artificial-scarcity/

If it really was going to be a huge seller they would do a big rollout and sell to anyone that wants it via regular retail methods. Seeing lots of units on store shelves would force them to drop prices to try clear stock as people would easily see the over supply and lack of demand.

This way they make less and can charge a premium to early adopters so actually higher profit margins at the expense of thise that fall for this basic system. They sell less units but make more money at the benefit of less units so less interest from other developers for those willing to pay the premium pre order price.

They then also say they arent making any money on the units :D, which is another key marketing piece of BS that seems to go down a treat with the suckers that fall for such pre order artificial scarcity methods too.

9. PhenOm

PhenOm Alien

Marketing101.
    You're right though. And it isn't like they are the only ones doing it, a lot of companies use this method of marketing.

martcerv and nate like this.
  10. aaksut

aaksut Rookie

+1 I can't upgrade to the latest SDK as iRacing and Assetto Corsa are all i play but I'll never go back to a normal monitor for them. Love to be able to use my CV1 in Assetto Corsa the day I receive it!

Kaputtnik likes this.
  11. Dionos

Dionos Gamer

That's really absolute nonsense. Oculus showed a picture of the first consumer version in September last year (source), and they have been building up stock since then. The pre-order isn't a "scam" in any way. You may cancel your pre-order at any time, since your account will only be charged when the unit is shipped (like it was with the devkits). Oculus aims to create a market for VR, so it's in their interest to get as many units out as possible. Creating artificial supply shortages does not fit in that strategy.

On topic: I also feel that Kunos is really silent about VR implementation. Hopefully they are already developing for the 1.0 SDK. I do trust that Kunos will deliver full VR implementation when the units are being shipped (which I think is what they implied in their blog post). From day 1 Kunos saw the potential of VR for racing (indicating Oculus support, demoing AC with the Rift...) and I assume they will continue on this path.

Kaputtnik likes this.
  12. JoeMoore

JoeMoore Racer

Kaputtnik likes this.
  13. SimDrive

SimDrive Simracer

And here you are again in another thread about the CV1,,,starting to think you are just a bit jelly for not being able to afford one and taking every opportunity to bash VR :p
    Like it or not, VR is here to stay and yes, it is a game changer for the entertainment industry and beyond so it will be part of our lives. If you don't like it, that's OK, you have that option but the people excited about it can do without your negativity ;)

Rift Racer, ears1991, ears and 4 others like this.
  14. ZethGAF

ZethGAF Simracer

Wholeheartedly agree with sentiment in OP, Rift support going forward would be amazing! Even basic support like what was working with DK2 would be great.

Kaputtnik likes this.
  15. Hippy

Hippy Racer

Not sure why you think it's bs that they're selling the rift at cost, a lot of companies do this, Xbox and PlayStation are just 2 products sold at a loss, they make the majority of the money by licensing software, which is what oculus are doing with their store exclusives.
    The actual cost must cover r&d though, so 'cost' is a vague description.
    I don't see the need for the vr hate anymore, it's like the 'you're not a developer' arguement has gone and you guys are trying to come up with reasons why kunos shouldn't support vr, why? I bought AC solely to use in 'vr because it was advertised, we just want a few questions answered and to know where we stand, which headset to buy and which SIM to invest in, that's all, it's not unreasonable.

ears1991 and Kaputtnik like this.
  16. martcerv

martcerv Alien

I can easily afford one and would buy it if I actually wanted it and will quite likely buy better vr hardware not owned by facebook when it comes. $1100 to pre pay 4 months in advance to play facebook games in VR on I will gladly pass on. :D

Developer support will also be quite low for a niche product. Hopefully there is a competing product that can get into the mainstream market and so will actually make developers want to support vr. I dont actually want the lowest end product but without this the mainstream gamers wont get into vr so it wont get much 3rd party support.

If I was a developer and wasnt being paid money by facebook id find little interest in wasting dev time to support their niche product.

Kunos however said they will support it when its a retail product so this thread like all the others is again a waste of time and there really isnt anything more they can say beyond what they already have.

PhenOm likes this.
  17. ZethGAF

ZethGAF Simracer

Luckily we have you to bump it to the top of the page fairly regularly :)

18. martcerv

martcerv Alien

That doesnt look much like the actual production line. Never seen a chinese line look much like that seems to be slightly lacking in chinese production slaves. :D

Screenshot_2016-01-17-14-34-36-1.png

Surely thats not just another BS photo to try and fool people into assuming this is not another chinese mass produced product. It is insinuating that its the production line not the guys working on a prototype which is slightly different. ;)

19. Lowkey

Lowkey Racer

Said I wouldn't reply to your uneducated posts.. but LOL

Thread title: Letter to Kunos regarding rift support

[​IMG]

Totally irrelevant. You just sound pissed at the FB acquisition. Are you actually in Australia or are you nitpicking the worst price you've seen online to over dramatize?

20. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Over dramatizing would be this thread title and the BS first post open letter. :p