1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

René rast and his great comments about pcars

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Rui Santos, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I hope that for some of you pcars is the game/sim that you have been waiting your entire lives for and that you guys get as much enjoyment out of it as I do AC....

And then there are some of you that are simply a marketing departments wet dream; no offense meant.

2. Sakai

Sakai Simracer

"No offense" but you clearly meant to offend. You're saying someone is stupid or something like that just because they like something different. Btw, aren't you yourself AC's marketing department wet dream? :) And for the record, i've never played Pcars and have no opinion on it one way or another. :)

3. Blame

Blame Alien

Well, he drove the LMP2 car at Le Mans that he had time to practice with in pC. He is one of the most talented GT3 drivers right now (probably because he also sims a lot at home), plus he also has AC, but it seems that he doesn't spend enough time on that.
    Yet you can't be completely sure that he was paid to say that.

4. plaid

plaid Alien

Yeah. Go to the Rfactor2 forums and you will find the same comments about PCArs from here , about AC there. In the meantime imagine real racing drivers watch people arguing which which of the simulators is the most realistic. They probably would mostly raise their eyebrows.
    And in every forum of a racingsim you will find people getting very angry, if someone makes a statement that questions the realism of their sim, like they have to compensate for any personal issue or other reasons similiar unhealthy.
    On a meta level its kinda entertaining. :D

BTW: There are several statements of racedrivers, that sims not come any close to reality and the physics in sims are very simplified compared to reality.
    So maybe he picked up PCars cause the differences between reality and sims is actually far bigger then the ones between sim A and sim B and simply chose the one he thought is the most fun, besides there other things then physics that make a sim enjoyable.

5. Znam Neznam

Znam Neznam Hardcore Simmer

Everyone has their own opinion.

At end of the day for most of us sim racing is hobby nothing more.

If I can say one thing about pCars is that Ian Bell spent months attacking/arguing at NoGrip and VirtualR (deleted now to prevent bad light on pCars )

....Rene should try rFactor Pro with servo wheel before making wild marketing ads for pCars.

Rui Santos likes this.
  6. PhenOm

PhenOm Alien

I don't mind people liking other games more than AC but the thing that irritates me the most is that he says that pCars is the most realistic sim out there even though he has played iRacing, rfactor (2?) and AC. It's generally known that those 3 games have amazing physics (iRacing, rfactor & ac) so I just don't get why you would say stuff like that, yeah you might be promoting but somehow it just isn't right what he said.

Rui Santos likes this.
  7. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

He said he drove AC a couple of times but just didnt like it, thats dismissing it, publicly and now wmd can use that as their advertising that their game must be better because the racing driver who works with them "played it a few times" and thought he prefered the game that he is directly involved with. Hmmm..

Don't think this thread is really worth keeping open though, at the end of the day Rene will sing pcars praises till the cows come home, some people will fall for it and think pcars is the best thing ever and therefore AC is garbage, theres nothing we can do about that...

Koen and Rui Santos like this.
  8. Considering that AC doesn't have a marketing department that would be a pretty good coup

I never said anybody was stupid and I have no problem with people liking things that I don't.
    But if a racing driver that suddenly gets sponsored by Fanatic and starts making professional level videos about a product doesn't even imply to you that he might be a paid spokesman for that product then yes, you are a marketing departments key target; take that however you will.

9. Sakai

Sakai Simracer

Known by who? People who probably never drove racing cars in real life? Some of them probably still believe that the harder it is - the more realistic it is. That grip is a myth and all that. If making a "realistic" sim was as easy as just putting the right numbers in, we would've had a perfect racing game long time ago. But it isn't. Realism is a subjective term which based much more on "feeling" than anything else. To some iRacing is the most realistic, to some rf, to some AC. And it doesn't necessarily mean that any of those peole are wrong. Even actual racing drivers have different opinions on what is the best sim out there.

Even better for AC team. :)
    If you have any proof of that, then show it to me. But untill then i'm not going to blame someone of selling out just because his opinion is different to mine.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  10. Horus

Horus Alien

Some serious knicker twists in this thread. Opinions are like... you know the saying. Hey! What's up with liking what you like, did everyone go and buy the products their favourite Footballer, Cricketer or Film star promotes? People who are in the public eye get to advertise and the company hopes they drag a few mindless sheeple to the product. Does that mean someone having a great laugh driving pCars/rF/AC/Grid should all go to one product, NO!

Like what you like and tell people you respect/enjoy about it, share it on whatever format you want but don't start poo pooing someone just because their opinions are different. You can always reply to them and share your experience but if they are enjoying what they are doing then you have little chance to change their minds. To be honest why should you change their minds, IT'S THEIR CHOICE! Picking on one bloke is just daft and very immature, much like the good old 'My Dad's bigger than your Dad' in the nursery playground.

Come on guys, chill. Also take those knickers off they will castrate you if they twist any more than they have already. :)

P.S. I'm sure most of you know I wear the badge of AC Fanboy with pride, but I would not shout someone down because they like something else. Still

ASSETTO CORSA ROCKS!!!!

Dean Ogurek likes this.
  11. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

In fairness to Rene Rast, my understanding is that he first became a fan of Pcars and then after he made some videos, was asked to become a spokesperson or something to that effect. Perhaps he was offered a copy due to his Racing pedigree. The rest of my comment is for general consumption.

Either way, what some of you are suggesting, is that they (Rene, Ben, Nic) are dishonest about Pcars, are delusional or just plain wrong. They are paid therefore - not reliable sources. They have more real-world experience in a race car than anyone here yet, their opinion shouldn't count. Really? I've read about that level of pessimism before, maybe even seen it for myself but, I'm still shocked at how common it is in Sim circles. We really do need to see a therapist.

Realism for one person to another may vary wildly and can be totally subjective. Physics are either realistic or they are not but, one's opinion of their part in making a game "realistic" is still subjective. Show me any game that has nailed real physics. None are perfect. I think Pcars are based in reality - unlike Arcade-games but, this can be argued all day long to no benefit at all. The "level" of simulation is another matter but, to be offended by the use of the word seems a bit over the top.

Many people are offended by the use of the word "Simulation" in Pcars advertising but, they themselves have no problem making offensive statements about about the competence of the development team, testers, consultants, etc. Such statements are out ther in the public domain forever. It's no wonder at all to me that some people get the boot and I suspect it's much more about poor attitudes and lack of respect than anything else. There comes a time when you have been doing a job for many years and then those with little or no experience tell you how to do it better and you know by their tone, their words when you hear them - that this is a losing battle. Better to cut your losses and get back to work.

Dissatisfaction: There's plenty of that to go around with every Sim out there so satisfying the Racing-sim crowd has to be viewed as a no-win situation by any developer/publisher. Speaking to attitude; Perhaps we can coin it the "Run over your own foot syndrome". I consider myself to be a Sim-enthusiast but, perhaps not a Sim-purist. I'll play any game that brings me enjoyment and Pcars can certainly do that, even if I have to give back my "Sim-racer" patch. Hell, you can even call me a true arcade racer - I don't care about the label or how it's perceived. Maybe that's the problem. Sim-racers care too much. We feel slighted, forgotten, ignored and misunderstood by the industry and now are threatened by the creation of Pcars. I think I may have even felt that way at times in the past but, we have more choices than ever now and yet so much discontent. The gods must really be crazy.

I like Pcars and I like AC, rF2 and more. I'll have some of each please. Thank you.

12. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

Known by who? People who probably never drove racing cars in real life?

^ exactly this

Plus, why are some pow ole that scared of pcars being a true sim? Does it make " your" game worse ??

If one enjoys Counter strike , releasing realistic Arma doesn't make it all of a sudden worse

Not liking it doesn't say that it's less realistic .

He also probably speaks about realism of feeling being in a race car

But it's never ending story

Some poeople will say iRacing is more real, some prefer rFactor, some AC and some PC

Some prefer Gran Turismo, some Forza

The best you can do is have them all and see what you enjoy about which

But it's pointless trying to "force" youropinion of which is the best onto others

I for example don't like.Forza5 , yet many people say it's the best console racing game
    I almost bought new controller to make sure my issues are not because of faulty controller

Poeople have different tastes after all

plaid likes this.
  13. Znam Neznam

Znam Neznam Hardcore Simmer

I think you're missing the point.
    When someone like Rene who drives real cars for living comes out and says x game is more realistic then y,z etc reaction will be negative. His opinion screams pr talk.

At end of the day AC, rF2, rf1, iRacing, pCars are just games period. They are not real simulators they never will be.

Real simulator is rF pro, kunos pro or whatever it's called, racer engine.

For Rene to come out and say Cars is realistic racing game its like Anthony Davidson saying Codemasters F1 is the closest thing to real F1 car.

plaid and Rui Santos like this.
  14. Horus

Horus Alien

@Znam Neznam

WHO CARES WHAT HE SAYS!
    He is only saying what he is either paid for or believes or both. It makes no difference to me wanting to race in AC or PCars. I don't own PCars but I am sure I will when it is released. :)

15. Carbon14

Carbon14 Hardcore Simmer

I would believe any real life racers than anyone's experience that is only extended to a computer chair. Paid or not.

plaid likes this.
  16. Sakai

Sakai Simracer

Why? Just because he has a different opinion of what is realistic and what isn't?

And how do you know what realistic and what isn't? How many hours do you have yourself in any racing car?

Patrik Marek likes this.
  17. Lino Carreira

Lino Carreira Hardcore Simmer

eheheh... this gets better and better, well it all boils down to what you perceive as real ( wich unfortunatelly doesnt mean fun ) ill give you an example, Codies Grid AutoSport, Love the Cars, Love the tracks, awsome grpahics engine and yet.... some cars almost feel nice but 90% of the time i feel im driving an Hovercraft. and as someone before me said this is probably the best year for all times for Automotive sport sims/games... AC,iRacing with new tire model, Live for Speed beeing updated soon, Pcars, RaceRoom, Rfactor 2 cant comment because i think that is so poorly optimized it gets on my nerves.....

Regarding AC i look at it with the same eyes i looked at LFS back in 2004...... I had so many hours of pleasure in LFS with online friends that i can only tank Scawen,Vic and Eric for that, its a pitty that Scawen is just one (Codewise). I feel the same regarding AC and Kunos Team. The relation VALUE/PLEASURE is great. and its amazing how truly enjoyable it is to just grab a car and take it for a spin :) , 90% of the time i just end up looking at one title and thinking, wow imagine X with this from Y .... i sum up all the pros and think, what an amazing game we would have if this was all combined into one :)

18. Horus

Horus Alien

I have some rocking horse teeth you might be interested in. Not being rude, but never trust someone else, go by what you find, feel, touch and hear. Money has a way to cause untruths or mutate truth. You will always have the best truth, your own. :)

Rui Santos likes this.
  19. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

What you say is ultimately true regarding trying things for yourself but, how many of us actually can gauge by real-life experience in a race car and really feel that what we experience in-game is like reality. At some point, most of us have to turn to the true experts and trust in their perspective, unless of course, realism is not important to you. Realism is the real issue for most people it seems. I won't get into immersion - that will open another can of worms.

Have you ever noticed that the working-class believes everything is about money. The CEO's, surfer dudes/ski bums/race car drivers think differently. They follow their passion, the money is not their primary motivation in life. Living life their way is. Although, the rewards can include money, those things follow success driven by passion. I'm old and fairly idealistic - oh my, how weird is that? :)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  20. PhenOm

PhenOm Alien

You know what, let's all just put in some money together to hire a real pro-driver and let him test out every sim with the same car-track combo. Then we'll know which game comes the closest to real life..
    I mean, you can't just believe what all drivers say, that's the truth.
    Allan McNish works together with Simraceway, René Rast has a deal with pCars (herpaderpduhh, it's obvious!) and same thing goes for other games etc..

All in all I think all the current sims out there (pCars, iRacing, AC, rf2, ...) all are realistic but in their own way.