1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

The learning curve

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Bob Peirce, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Bob Peirce

Bob Peirce Racer

Thanks. That's very helpful. Clearly I've been expecting too much too soon. It just gets frustrating when what you know doesn't seem to be working.

2. LeiF

LeiF Alien

My steam reckons over 5000 hours iirc but that counts time the launcher is open too.

A better estimate is that i have 110,000 km recorded by Minorating and probably another 30,000 km before MR.

After all that I am still improving, and also still get my arse kicked by a number of people consistently :)

They say it takes 10,000 hours to truly master something; I can't argue with that as I am definitely not even half way to mastering simracing :p

chksix, mms and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  3. Bob Peirce

Bob Peirce Racer

Maybe more than 10.000. I've got close to 12,000 driving at Pitt Race and I still did a little better last year than the year before. Right now I'm just interested in how long it takes to become reasonably competent in AC and the message is a lot more than 50 hours! Therefore, I'm not going to worry about it for several more months.

4. mms

mms Alien

The 10000 hours is for people having talent doing it :) It's a joke really, but if you think about it most people will never get to the top no matter how many hours they spend on improving themselves.

I'm almost 2000 hours in, but I stopped improving a while ago, and I really don't see myself any better. One thing that really had a significant impact was switching to VR.

5. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

Still very strong in sim racing...

Do you need VR to get good lap time?
    no

Do you need to adjust you FOV to get good lap time?
    no

Do you need 1000 hours to get good lap time?
    no

Do you need skill to be good in a game with a forgiving physic?
    no :D

6. Do you need a decent PC so that you have at least a steady 60 fps to get a decent laptime? Yes
    Do you need proper FFB settings for your wheel to get a decent laptime? Yes
    What is a decent laptime? No idea, hopefully anything within two or three seconds of the best counts, otherwise I'm SOL.
    Should you immediately put @MrDeap on your ignore list? If his previous posts doesn't finally get him booted out of here for good, yes.

chksix likes this.
  7. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

@PhilS13 called me a retard & you bring people to put on me on ignore list by pointing my username.

You don't need 60fps nor need good FFB either to get good laptime. It's possible to pull a good laptime with a gamepad. It's an non issue really.

in a nutshell, almost feel like a private golf club..

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  8. mms

mms Alien

lol I had to click on the show ignored content to see who is @Michael Hornbuckle responding to.

@MrDeap, not sure if your reply was directed to my post as you did not quote it, but if it was, I never spoke about lap times. If that's all what you care when you're sim-racing, all I can say it's: enjoy :) The same way me and many others will enjoy the immersion a well configured rig can offer.

Duh, this forum should not have Show Ignored content feature...

9. PhilS13

PhilS13 Alien

Hey if you had been on my ignore list you wouldn't have been called a retard. Michael is just being proactive so maybe less of that happens. Tagging me with your crap... **** off.

People are sick of you bringing up retarded points like you always do. You don't understand **** about driving, you don't understand **** about physics. If only you were actually a decent driver in real life...maybe we would be forced to say : "ok he is dumb as **** but maybe he's onto something." But no, you suck at driving in real life just as much as you do in sims. The persona you have created that is amazing in real life but needs to find justfication for sucking so bad in sims needs to die. You suck in both, no need to find excuses for why people are faster than you in sims.

It's been more than a year of this crap, get lost.

10. OoALEJOoO

OoALEJOoO Simracer

The reason why it might be taking you a long time to get a hold of AC might be because it takes longer to "unlearn" old stuff that to learn new stuff. What you have learned over your 10,000+ hours of real driving might need to get unlearned in AC because a simulator, albeit an excellent one, cannot replicate real life 100%.

If you plan to keep driving on real life, I would be careful with getting too involved with AC as it might affect your real-life driving skill. AC could be used as a platform to practice some skills, but it could be counter-productive to rely on it too much for the reason mentioned earlier.

I would love to know: if you clearly have access to real-life driving, why are you trying to get into AC? I guess it's because the possibility to drive different cars and tracks?

WallyM likes this.
  11. OoALEJOoO

OoALEJOoO Simracer

I'm not trying to put AC down, it is a fantastic product. I'm just saying that real-life and simulator are different beasts.

The reason of the learning and unlearning statement comes from what I have personally experienced as a martial arts instructor. Developing body-eye coordination, reflexes and muscle memory takes a lot of time and practice to learn. Once you have learned it, it becomes extremely hard to unlearn. E.g. trying to perform forms (stances, moves, kicks, etc) after years of doing it one way becomes very difficult to later do them in a different way. In this respect driving (an art by itself) could be similar.

However, and having said that, everything could be developed through practice. I believe that if you practice hard enough, you would be able to switch back and forth between simulator and real-life without issues. Do note that this might require a lot of time, which you might not have, thus my earlier comment of perhaps not getting too involved with AC could be a good idea.

12. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

You should could calm down. I never called you with any offensive word or anything. I don't even know why you bring this up... Although we will probably never know the answer for that one, like the usual...

13. PhilS13

PhilS13 Alien

I'm pretty damn calm.

The words are offensive because nothing else works.

Smart people have tried to explain some basic physics to you.

Fast people have tried to explain why your driving tips don't work.

Everyone has tried ignoring you. Over and over you keep posting the same ****.

Nothing works. You are so deep in your delusion you don't even see people who have genuinely tried to help you before they turned to hating you as expected. Snap out of it ffs.

14. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

15. Salajutsu

Salajutsu Hardcore Simmer

I didn't read everything here but to answer OP:

How long did it take?

1,014 hours up to now. To get overall down to a science, it takes more. Of course, I've racked up many many hours in other sims as well.

I would say that, overall, it takes years. As I'm sure it would take the same amount if not more (because of money as well) in real life.

16. kevin.maatman

kevin.maatman Staff Member KS Dev Team

If you guys cannot talk maturely with each other refrain from posting in this thread. If I see any more insults or annoyance you will be removed.

Dookie, bgil66, iannixxenakis and 2 others like this.
  17. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

It depends a lot on you. How you drive, what do you want.
    I started simracing in February, first laps with keyboard, then old wheel, old pedals.
    And i had fun from the beginning.
    Now i had my first frustrating times. Nearly 1000 Hours, and the fun is gone. Did a lot mudding at spintires. And after some weeks the fun is back.
    I am far away from the best lap times but i learn day by day, week by week.
    ATM i have must fun with old beasts. Porsche 3.0 RSR, Countach - i struggled a lot, and now i am falling in love with the "difficult" cars.
    So - for me - it will take years to become a good simracer. After 1000 hours i am 20-30s off the pace at Nords. 2-5s off at normal race tracks. Thats okay for me.
    I enjoy every moment and its not the primary goal to be faster. My primary goal is to drive:)

18. Berry

Berry Alien

Just drive for fun...the speed will come with time and practice :p.

RedLoto and mms like this.
  19. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

@Bob Peirce: IMO, putting FOV considerations aside so lightly is a massive mistake and will block your attempt to have an experience close to RL. It's been mentioned before in here but I simply need to underline it.

If you run the mathematically correct FOV, all objects, corners etc will be displayed in the correct size like in RL. Do you not see how this is essential regarding what you want to achieve? Many on single screens use an increased FOV for improved immersion and awareness reasons (and that's fine) but since your goal is to match the sim to RL as closely as possible, you can not do this.

It's so crucial...you don't need to open another thread meta-discussing your progress before you haven't gotten this right.

20. V8_KB

V8_KB Alien

It takes time but I wouldn't say you need thousands of hours and years of simracing. It all depends on each person too so it's impossible to put any number in here.

I made a step up from a pad and bought a wheel two years ago. Although I had a lot of hours (over 700) in AC already, driving with a wheel is completely different experience. I was slower at the beginning for a while. With a pad I was OK and after some practice I was decent with a wheel. Now I'm competitive, but I wouldn't say I'm any faster than a year ago. It would be interesting to actually compare lap times from now and the past, but due to AC's constant development it's not possible.

Like others have said, don't be too focused on lap times and gaps to fast guys, just enjoy the game. It will come with time and practice.

LeiF likes this.