1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Ferrari DLC & 1.15 - Discuss Away

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Schnipp, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

The movements surely are precise, I just meant that it's often a lot of hand travel for a small correction.
    Also depends a lot on the tyres, in the GTO it can very well be that a little oversteer is a good thing. (It is in AC)
    Can also depend a lot on whether they are running vintage tyres or more modern ones.

For modern, slick-type, tyres (and thus for pretty much every modern race car), smooth is always the way to go.
    For classic cars, it depends on the car, tyre, chassis, setup etc.

2. Orne

Orne Alien

My guess is they are using modern tires that approximate vintage tires.

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/BWXDE2/196...tt-celebration-race-paddock-at-the-BWXDE2.jpg

1963-ferrari-250-gto64-in-the-rac-tt-celebration-race-paddock-at-the-BWXDE2.jpg

3. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Yeah, quite likely.

4. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

64 GTO aka Series2 GTO did 1'25 in this recent revival IIRIC, so it must be faster model, or they have used better tire this year

Series one GTO

1'27 by Graham Hill in 1963
    1'27 by Martin Brundle in 2011

Thats in Goodwood, there are more laptimes in the GTO issue thread, I see you guys are discussing GTO, so I'm pointing it out once more...

Orne likes this.
  5. chakko

chakko Alien

I think you should watch more F1. Especially the quali laps are absolutely on the ragged edge, and there's a lot of oversteering, at corner entry, in the corner, or when accelerating out.

BTW, i'm not sure why you even comment on my comment, when you never even drove iRacing. Drive it, and then come back, and tell me that the behavior on the limit is correct.

The magic is to get the right balance. Of course, you have to drive as smooth as possible, but, not avoid the limit, like in iRacing. Why do we even discuss this? You're a fast guy, i am a reasonable fast guy, so we both should know this. Especially after your drift-o-mania video here with the Porsche RSR.

Obizzz likes this.
  6. Seanspeed

Seanspeed Hardcore Simmer

My problem with these turbo road Ferrari cars is that I cannot 'ride them like a wave'. It takes extra special skill to know how to properly apply throttle with something with so much turbo lag and keep a controlled power slide.

Ultimately, I need to drive them with a fair bit of caution and I drive very smoothly. I haven't checked my times against competition, but I'm sure I'm well down just because I dont have that skill to deal with such turbo lag. And honestly, I dont really care to even learn. I dont know why anybody would enjoy that. It's basically like input lag in a game. Imagine if in *every car* in Assetto Corsa, your car didn't actually get on the power til a full second after you punched it. It feels terrible.

I get these cars are mechanically interesting and great works of art for their day, but I dont understand the thrill in actually driving them, especially when combined with lower grip tires of the day. Give me an immediate response NA car anyday, or *at least* a modern turbo with super minimal turbo lag.

7. bgil66

bgil66 Alien

Addicted to the F2004 :)

8. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Hey chakko, no need to get mad. ;)
    Yeah, but that's also a bit of a characteristic of these turbo-driven F1 cars. They have a lot of torque and you really have to try to get the power down and it is important to be early on throttle.
    Due to the chassis and diffs they have, you usually don't lose too much time with slight drifts and if the cars have more power than you can put down and the tyres are still ok, then it is possible to compensate most of it.
    This is maybe what you're after. Little drifts should be ok, basically putting stress on the tyres, but the influence on lap time shouldn't be huge, right?
    Still, the "perfect" lap would be a smooth one (a few special corners taken aside) with no drifts at all. But due to the engine characteristics it is almost impossible with these cars to get a perfect lap done.
    In the first 2 years of the new turbos, there was a lot of talk about driveability of the engines. There isn't much now, so one must guess that they got it worked out mostly.
    Looking at the laps I do think though that there is still room for improvement and it will be interesting to see how much they can improve.

Anyway, it was different with the older V8- and V10-powered cars. In those, you could see incredibly smooth qualification times.
    Of course on the fragile Pirelli tyres a couple of years ago it was a necessity, but also on the older Bridgestones.
    e.g. the Red Bulls were incredibly stable and had huge mechanical traction. That (and of course the immense aero which played an important role in the stability) was one of the reasons why they were so successful.
    Quite frankly, I don't give a **** about iRacing. Indeed, I haven't driven it and possibly never will.
    I really don't care if their behaviour on the limit is correct or crap.

All I responded to was your comment on real-life racing.
    This isn't about me being fast or not.
    Apart from that, drifting capabilities don't give you good pace although I'd say that it gives you good training in car-control.
    So I'd suggest anybody to do it. :)

paul_wev likes this.
  9. nanucq

nanucq Racer

Brilliant DLC, best modelling and sounds so far !

Special mention to the 312/67, this car will be my daily drive for a long long time :p
    Thanks again !

10. RedLoto

RedLoto Racer

turbo lag in this car its not really a problem, i think its its minimum compared to the f40 or the yellowbird, or the supra TA/Drift that thing its crazy laggy, in fact to me the 288gto feel like the f40 engine with less boost...or maybe i am just used to bad behaving cars who knows, the only sure thing its that i have great fun driving it and have become one of my personal favorites in AC.

and for the other cars i love them all but if its one thing i don't like in the Ferrari pack its the only tire choice we have in the 812SF, i hate those tires(they are twitchy and boring to drift with) and still don't get why we cant have streets in the some of the new supercars(gt3rs, 911R, 488gtb)

11. xystof

xystof Hardcore Simmer

Hi guys, finally got Ferrari DLC and testing it right now. First question - what's going on with these US and EVO versions of 288's gearbox? Which is the same as the one in European model (if any)? And what's the historical difference - yeah, I suppose that US was for US market... - but what's the story behind EVO gearbox?

12. chakko

chakko Alien

Ok, then you maybe didn't quite understand what i meant. If you're on the limit, of course there will be situation where you either have to correct, push the throttle too much, or too early, and you have to correct. Doing that multiple times, or in every corner surely won't let you do the best time, yet, if you're on the limit, it happens. If you never have to correct, then you're either a machine, or you're not on the limit. In iRacing, in certain cars, if you have to correct, you either have to have god like reactions, and use a expensive wheel which lets you sense every poop the FFB makes, or, like in my case, you get yourself into not to save slides. The Formula Renault 2.0 is such a car, for example. If you don't believe me, try it. And, if you only commented on my statements regards the racing in real life, well, i talked about how AC and iRacing compare to real life.

Berniyh likes this.
  13. The Cayman GT4 would probably slot in the Streetfight SMW group if it had a street tyre option....

RedLoto likes this.
  14. iannixxenakis

iannixxenakis Hardcore Simmer

I didn't notice any turbo lag in the 288 GTO (didn't really think about it), just that in first and second gear it can wheelspin near the rev limit so unless you're in a straight line on a flat bit of track be careful with the throttle.

I spent a bit of time getting the WR on Trento with it (Pro settings, not without car damage so you can wall ride :) ) and found it good to drive, just be careful on the throttle going round the hairpins (I also changed the gear ratios a bit to give me more top speed in first gear).

Quite often if the road was bumpy or I was turning slightly I'd change up into second gear without having my foot to the floor to avoid wheelspin/sliding.

The only other track I've driven it on is the Nords where I found it fairly easy going compared to Trento, got a 7:55 which isn't terrible (I need to be more daring in the last sector).

I was really surprised at how easy it is to drive for an old sports car.

I've tried the 62 GTO and that's a bit much for me at the moment, I slide around everywhere :-/

Would like to get the tyre pressures right though. Sidekick hasn't got the data yet so I'm a bit lost as to where to set them.

RedLoto and LeDude83 like this.
  15. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

The 288 GTO is my favourite of the pack so far. I love the sound. It's not a screamer but a growler. It sounds genuinely angry without too much drama. The handling is indeed fairly balanced...compared to the Countach for example ;-)
    It's a character car and - for me - one of the most beautiful Ferraris. If only I look at that dashboard - I just love the squary, right-angled style of the 80s <3

16. Orne

Orne Alien

The 288 GTO is a politely angry car! HAHAHA

The 288 and 250 are my favorites for sure, although I really dig the speed , precision and nimbleness of the Superfast. I've put over 600km on the 250 GTO, with no end in sight. Its such a wonderfully challenging car to drive and the engine sound is glorious! I'd have paid 7 USD for these three cars alone, everything else would have been icing on the cake !

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    LeDude83, ALB123, RedLoto and 3 others like this.
  17. IRL they dont really make "normal" street tyres in these sizes.

ALB123 likes this.
  18. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

Based on the limited research I did, the default setting is what Ferrari used on the 288 GTO. Yes, it's crazy tall gearing. There's got to be a reason for that and I'd love to hear it. As far as the other two FG's you may choose from...I don't really know.
    I'm taking my Ferrari 812 Superfast to Tire Warehouse. Gonna slap some Firestone FR710 All-Seasons on this bad boy! :D :p In all seriousness, if Kunos were to provide another tire it would have to be Trofeo's.

This just got me thinking. Among the modding guru's reading this... As Kunos defines their tires, if you were able to keep the sizes the same, which tire would be higher performance on a race track, Hypercar Road or Semislick? I might as well also compare Hypercar Torofeo vs. Semslick, which is a grippier, track performance tire?

xystof likes this.
  19. V8_KB

V8_KB Alien

Oh no, please no more slicks for street cars.

Semislicks<Hypercar Road<............ Hypercar Trofeo (cut slicks, not street legal, not Pirelli Trofeo)

liakjim and Michael Hornbuckle like this.
  20. I must admit to being baffled by the lack of a street tyre option for the Porsche Cayman GT4 o_O