1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

How is Assetto Corsa going to beat pCARS2

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Stains, Jun 21, 2017.

1. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

had a look at the video.

Schwedenkreuz - 240km/h in wet conditions? o_O

I struggle with 240 when it is dry. But i am no alien.o_O

Mogster likes this.
  2. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

My god that pCars2 vid looks good though, esp knowing it's VR, can't wait to try it out. Fingers crossed it drives good. No chance it's going to feel as good as AC though.

Just think... soon we'll have sims that look as amazing as pCars2, and drive as amazing as AC. The computing power is available, just a matter of time! (and money :confused:). With further improvements to VR, simracing is going to be incredible.

What a time to be alive :D

After_Midnight and Stains like this.
  3. Haiden773

Haiden773 Hardcore Simmer

I love VR, and would never go back to 2D screens, but this looks more like the mirrored screen view you get when you're running a VR session. The actual headset view probably looks little more screen-door'ie with less clarity. Still, PCars1 is one of the best looking sims in VR today, so I'm certain PCars2 will be improved.

From what I've read about Oculus' plans for the new headset, the Cv2's will be a big leap in clarity, compared to the current headsets, making any sim look a hell of a lot better. I expect titles like PCars2 will just be amazing in the Cv2's. My only fear is that somewhere between the Cv2 and Cv3 (definitely by the Cv4), I will be putting more time on virtual circuits than actual professional drivers...LOL

Rosko likes this.
  4. morpwr69

morpwr69 Racer

Whats wrong with that? I just saw an article where they where talking about real motorsports and manufacturer involvement in sims as another place to pull drivers or even simulator drivers(didn't even know they had simulator specific drivers). All you have to do is look at the recent joint ventures in gaming to see it. Its already been done many times now and they know it works. So that progression is only natural. You never know you could land a ride.

5. Haiden773

I don't doubt it will become big and change. But I'm 47. Sim or RL, it'll continue to be young man's sport. :)

morpwr69 likes this.
  6. Orne

Orne Alien

Project Cars can't even live up to its own standards, hahaha. There is pCars the marketing version then there is pCars the product that is actually released. Its important not to confuse to two.

Assetto Corsa has nothing to prove with regards to pCars those horses bolted from the stable years ago. The pCars horse stumbled and broke a leg and now gives pony rides at the local fair while the Assetto Corsa horse is still running wild and free, difficult to tame although worth the time and effort it takes.

pCars is like a show car a trailer queen, looks good sitting still, every inch is perfectly painted and waxed, lift the hood, engine bay is chromed and as clean as the board of health. The only problem is the car is never driven, its not really meant to be driven, suspension is for show only, its pushed on and off the show floor, designed to look good but handling and performance was never a consideration.

Assetto Corsa on the other hand is that car you love working on and driving, paint isn't perfect, various improvements need to be made but its the car you love driving the most. It handles like nothing you've experienced before, responsive and communicative. It doesn't have all the fancy features of the trailer queen but its an actual car that you can drive and feel connected to, it evokes emotion and pushes you to be a better driver. It whispers to you "here's the track, get to work and don't forget to have fun"

pCars is in a land battle with Forza while Assetto Corsa is exploring terra incognita, venturing places that very few have tread !

Enzo Martin, Tomcul, xystof and 3 others like this.
  7. Kroegtijger

Kroegtijger Racer

AC has already proved to be a very good sim. pCars2 still has to prove itself.
    So the title of this topic is wrong, it implies pCars2 is already the better game.

8. liakjim

liakjim Alien

This thread is incomplete.
    Which will win but for who?
    Personally I am looking for x , another fellow for y.
    PC1 already won AC regarding sales.
    So what's the point asking?

Στάλθηκε από το m2 note μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

9. Berry

Berry Alien

Yep, PCars vastly outnumbered AC in sales, PCars 2 will most likely do the same.So it did win, didn't it? :D
    However, people who can actually appreciate these sims for what they are, tell a very different story.

Enzo Martin likes this.
  10. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Project CARS has a (seemingly far) bigger marketing budget, obviously they reach a bigger audience and have more sales. The first game was hyped up for years, was in a lot of press for WMD and people know the studio from high profile titles. Meanwhile AC has grown from a tiny one-car tech demo on Steam Greenlight and barely any marketing or coverage to what it is today, a small studio punching above its weight among the major players in the genre, and retaining players long term quite a bit better than PCARS if Steam stats are to be believed. Will PCARS2 be more successful in terms of sales and audience reach? Absolutely, don't think there's any doubt about that unless they tank really badly. People will always flock to the newest and shiniest thing. And even PCARS1 had a so-so launch and it didn't really affect them... "How is Assetto Corsa going to beat pCARS2" therefore should be much more about how Kunos will continue development to compete on the market going forward (I would've said they'll just continue doing their thing regardless of the market but they're not an indie studio anymore, so no idea) and if one or the other simulation is subjectively better for a player.

Orne and sissydriver like this.
  11. That pCars2 video seems to show reasonably wet conditions. When compared to the real life video posted in this thread, the car looks like it has too much grip. Note how the real world driver brakes earlier, and how the engine revs drop well short of the next corner when compared to the pCars2 video (because he is being very careful on the slippery track). In short, simulated driving in wet conditions should look (and sound) appreciably different to when the track is dry.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Haiden773 and Mogster like this.
  12. Tomcul

Tomcul Hardcore Simmer

We also don't know how good the pcars driver was, he may be only an average skilled driver, if that's the case then there's 5-10 sec to be takin off that 7:01 on the wet..
    The grip looks way too much, the way the power can be planted with little drama is like a dry track..

13. morpwr69

morpwr69 Racer

So your saying I'm old?o_O

14. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

We're deep in speculation land with this video ;-)
    To me it doesn't look very easy to put power down - there's a lot of corrective wheel twitches, don't you think?

But anyways - there are interesting new inputs in the other thread.

Tomcul likes this.
  15. Haiden773

People always point to PCars selling more than AC as a plus for PCars. But I think they forget something. That just because PCars caters to a more general audience. Arcade players that hop from game to game, and love titles like NFS, Forza Horizon, and the like are a huge part of what drove those sales. It wrong to count these people, because a lot of them buy titles, play for a couple months (if even) and then move on. If it were possible to extract serious sim hobbyist from that total, I'd be willing to bet that the number is lower than AC. AC doesn't appeal to arcade racers. And PCars doesn't really have a good reputation or following with serious sim racers.

So yeah... It's actually PCars2 that has something to prove. The shiny marketing was in full effect for the PCars1, and look how that turned out. Hopefully, they've learned their lesson and aren't overselling this one. I think it's also worth noting how far Kunos has gotten with their first release. SMS got what, a year out of Pcars1 before they stopped development and switched gears to PCars2? Why? Because PCars1 wasn't a strong enough foundation to build anything from. It was flawed and at it's limit, and they knew it. Funny how people forget (or ignore) history. :)

Ace Pumpkin and Tomcul like this.
  16. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

Tofu bacon. :p

sissydriver likes this.
  17. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

If you check SteamSpy
    PCars has double the owners but half the active players comparing to AC
    https://steamspy.com/app/244210
    https://steamspy.com/app/234630
    http://steamcharts.com/cmp/244210,234630

I don't own the console but heard that the situation is about the same on PS.

Bet 80% of AC users bought PCars based on all the hype, how many actually still play it?

18. chakko

chakko Alien

Of course. But that would totally defeat the "one sim to rule them all" attitude most people seem to have. :p

Jebus and BrandonW77 like this.
  19. St3fan

St3fan Alien

I was young and naive back then.

It is now still entertaining to watch some of the pre-release review videos of PCars 1 done by many sim racing journalist parties back then.

Tomcul and LeDude83 like this.
  20. Haiden773

Exactly! You can see the difference in the online lobbies and number of leagues. PCars has way less activity in both areas. I think it's the only major title that RaceDepartment doesn't maintain a league thread for. Hell, they still have a league thread for rF1, and it's active...LOL. I'm just amazed at how they quote sales figures as proof of achievement. It's like they forgot about all the people who bought the game, and then shelved it. AC may not have sold as many copies, but it's been around longer and has a much better retention rate and community support than PCars, and that's not because PCars is the better title...LOL