1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

This ruf is going to be an acquired taste

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Strummer, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Leemstradamus

Leemstradamus Hardcore Simmer

I came home from work and ate dinner. Then straight to the yellow bird! Did some public lobby racing and it was a mixed bag in there. Hit a few people by accident. Mostly because people kept losing it in front of me. Had a few battles with people and just enjoyed this beast through and through!

2. Philippeapo

Philippeapo Gamer

Nice an you forgot long hair behind the neck...

3. Nekrobob

Nekrobob Hardcore Simmer

This Motor Vehicle is just as good.Was testing it on the Green Hell and had a big smile in my Face.
    [​IMG]

4. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Everywhere in AC does still feel like the Southern Med. It's a small thing but I would like a more Northrrn European feel for Silverstone and the Nurburgring. Maybe it's the lighting, maybe the colour palette?

5. Yeah, if only Kunos will implement weather1.ini on a per track basis. It really should be that hard to program in... It'll help each track to get different lighting and fog to suit.

6. WallyM

WallyM Alien

I'm not feeling the love for these fat-a$$ed cars that love to go around corners backwards... but that's a comment on my driving ability, not the quality of the car.

Ace Aono and Octane like this.
  7. There is no way that I am driving this thing online until I have a hell of a lot more confidence in it. I can guess that the vast majority of AC users that hit the servers as soon as this car was released were spinning and crashing it all over the place. It probably wasn't the best idea to start adding it to multiple servers so soon. People need to learn how to control it before they start racing others.

8. Shrubbo

Shrubbo Simracer

At the moment this car is my favorite to rip round snoopies nord. Once I realized it was a death trap everything fell into place. I am fortunate enough to have the full fanatec setup and this car is just crazy *** fun to drive. Feet dancing, smashing that H pattern and the wheel literally spinning wildly to save my ***. The FFB instantly grabbed my attention once I dialed it in, it feels amazing. I really wasn't expecting anything from it to be honest. Well at least not this level or fun. It may not have been the smartest idea to put the engine behind the back wheels but I think I am starting to get it. Grin factor 10.

9. Leemstradamus

Leemstradamus Hardcore Simmer

I took I it online when I got home from work and it was fun. People were all over the place though!

10. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Great fun to drive, very satisfying, but to me the most difficult of cars in AC so far, maybe with the exception of the Shelby Cobra which to drive makes me look very pathetic for sure. No complaint, however. It clearly shows me my limits. I can keep it on track and get it around the Nordschleife in one piece. But doing so at competitive lap times is beyond my skills - it seems to need quite a good amount of drifting skills to do so - and these I lack.

But the feeling of driving it is extremely satisfying, it feels so alive and dynamic. One of the most outstanding cars in the AC garage so far. Well done! This car shows who rules the physics and dynamics department on the race sim market currently.

11. Arch

Arch Alien

I like this car because it's safer to flick it into a drift in some fast corners, so you don't get initial understeer and when the suspension hops, you're already sliding and can easily recover and start braking or keep accelerating.

12. Dori

Dori Hardcore Simmer

I'm having a blast driving this Ruf, it's my favourite car in AC right now. I drifted every corner on Nurburgring on my first lap :D
    The only thing I can fault is the ride height looks much higher than the real car.

13. Rodrigo Pires

Rodrigo Pires Simracer

The first F1 car to have paddles was the 89 Ferrari. It only got popular (and cheap) on street cars by mid 00´s.

Mogster and Leemstradamus like this.
  14. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

oh yes, was on the first place and due crashes i quitted. Most couldnt handle it and just crashed, even Arch :p
    If you change some parameters its quite nice to drive to some point. :)

15. YoShImUrA

YoShImUrA Gamer

Mods, please move this thread to the right forum if this is not it.

Hi everyone, I want to give some notes and impressions on the RUF car, so let's get down to it.

First of all, amazing model and cabin, great sounds, etc. Very enjoyable in isolation on semislicks (which the spring rates and dampers seem to be set for), especially at places like SPA.

Before stating my opinion, let me tell you that I have driven in anger several times at the Ring (among many other tracks in the world), as well as old 911s and even 2500 mi on a GT3, and I've driven all of those cars at the track at least once, so I believe I have a good idea of how these cars should feel.

So here goes, I like Kuno's Yellowbird, but I don't think it handles overall as balanced, "tippy toey" and "pitchy" as the original, as demonstrated in the classic video "Faszination Nürburgring" (link below).

It also seems quite more grippy, even on 90s street tires. I am not sure of which final gear the real car uses, but I seem to be able to run at least a gear higher on every corner of the Snoopy v1.1 Nurburgring with this car.

I also miss the steering feel of an old 911: very "manual" steering(am I allowed to say "manly" in this day and age?), very demanding, but at the same time delicate and communicative steering, which this car has, but the chassis seems to lack balance, which is inherent in a 911, but it's beacuse of the great engineering behind that these cars are actually not as unpredictable to drive at the limit as some myths tell you.

Kuno's car turns in and mid corner it starts pushing (understeering) noticeably more than what I see in the video, until the moment you start throttling, once the turbo loads, the rear tires get loose as if it had no LSD, and then it becomes quite difficult to "position" and hold that slide, again unlike what it looks like in the video from the original car.

I trully believe that this behavior has to do as much with the tires as with the actual suspension. Playing carefully with toe and camber helped a bit restoring the balance, but nothing to the point of making the car seem as "fluid" in the corners as the real one.

I don't mean to sound like I'm not doing a constructive criticism. I believe the car is fun on its own, as I said before. But it drives more like a more modern 911 than what I see in that video.

I figure Kunos have tried (maybe a bit too hard?) not to make the car short of everybody's expectations for this car. Maybe the spring rates and damping make it too composed, and too 997-ish to my taste, but I believe since it's a sim, that a "review" of the car is in order, especially regarding the chassis balance and (lack of?) poise, the steering feel (note, not related to FF in this case!) and the overall grip and breakaway of the 90s tires.

Hoping this is read the way I tried to put it down, let me finish saying thank you Kunos for this wonderful car and Merry Xmas!

And now enjoy that great video one more time and check if you're actually able to see the same car you drove a while ago handle like the one seen here =)

Strummer, RedLoto and maeckie like this.
  16. Rodrigo Pires

Rodrigo Pires Simracer

does not?

It has great brakes, great engine, great handling, what more can you ask? Cars were invented a long, long time ago. By the 80´s they are already pretty damn good. Modern cars (00´s onwards) are just easier and safer to drive, not because they are better, but because owners dont like to crash their expensive toys.

Take a Carrera GT or a Mclaren F1 for example, they will be very hard to drive properly fast. They were then and are still state of the art (like the yellowbird). The only difference is that they didn´t drove themselves and the driver had to actually change the gears.

Leemstradamus likes this.
  17. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

Yup, in fact the ferrari 355 that I drove on a racetrack back in 1998 had a regular stick shift gear lever. Having to shift gears with my right hand felt so odd, especially as you only get like 6 laps in it.

I find the braking in the Ruf to be quite difficult, seems to be quite hard to be consistent.

Leemstradamus likes this.
  18. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

[​IMG]
    I was worried that I my not be able to drive like Stefan Roser in that oldest viral car vid, but I can easily replicate he's driving and even better...
    Chose any corner you like from that video and I will replicate that in AC

edit:
    You can hold insanely long slides with it, actually you can go sideways in places where Stefan was afraid to do it. For example you can take Schwedenkreuz @ 4 gear fully lit where Stefan pussed out :D
    Understeer?!?!!?
    All this car is doing is oversteer especially when the rear tires overheat. No matter before the corner, mid corner or exit..

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
    Hany and Radfahrer like this.
  19. Arch

Arch Alien

I agree with Kristaps.

Car is very well balanced as long as you don't enter too hot but still enter fast enough to induce oversteer. 3rd gear drifts through 2 or more corners in succession on the Ring is possible and once you get it down, you will never understeer, quite the opposite, you will be countersteering to keep it from losing traction in the rear. It has a very small margin of error in the entry, but get it right and balance it mid corner and you can get some great stuff done.

20. Fivizzz

Fivizzz Simracer

I'm gonna have to disagree with the OP as well. That car is a drifter's wet dream ! Slides are incredibly easy to hold in this car. And I suck at drifting! I don't think I ever got any understeer except for too optimistic corner entries.