1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Discussing Driving Views

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Diablo_rf, Apr 8, 2019.

?

What type of camera view are you using?

1. Interior

92.5%
  2. Exterior

3.6%
  3. I use both, depending of the situation

3.9%
  1. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

Very impressive, thank you for posting this. Bookmarked right away. :D

2. PwdrMtn

PwdrMtn Rookie

After a lifetime of either console gaming or simply not gaming, I received my first gaming PC yesterday. ACC is the first and primary game for me at the moment.

After a few hiccups (figuring out wheel rotation etc wasn't the same as console, fixing failed CSL LEDs), I tried a few laps. I was half prepared to be disappointed, to find the differences not as great as I'd hoped, and wouldn't have been worth the upgrade.

Sh*t the bed. This game looks better than I thought, or than I'd seen online.

One of the things I was interested in was trying a correct FOV (26⁰). I set it all up, rolled out of the pits and crashed. It was really hard to drive. All my references were gone, they disappeared offscreen quicker than I could use them, and kerbs crept up faster, while following a kerb was just a bizarre experience. I had to relearn the track (Misano!)

I adjusted my setup, moving my monitor closer to allow me 29⁰ FOV, which did open up a bit and felt more comfortable. Within a few laps I was down to 1/10th from my PS4-set PB, but that wasn't the most interesting part. I couldn't seem to lock the brakes, no matte this hard I tried. Braking into corners I felt like I was early, I could see where I was leaving time on the table. On the PS4, it's the opposite - I felt like I couldn't possibly squeeze anything more out of it.

So now the game feels very different and I do have a lot of learning ahead, but I feel like there's a lot waiting for me to pick up. I'm looking forward to where this goes, hoping to improve those PBs again and pick s experience up a notch.

Thanks for reading. Any recommendations for a recently migrated user much appreciated!

Turk, AndyK70 and DiegoSR like this.
  3. Ted_R

Ted_R Racer

Hi Everyone :)

After many many years of ignoring proper FOV, I decided to set my FOV
    correctly for a change. After a short adjustment period, Wow .... what a difference.

Everything is so much easier now. Braking points ,turn in, maintaining proper distance
    from other racers, etc.. Everything seems to click and makes sense and has assumed its
    proper proportions.

Soooo.... here is a nod to the FOV proponents, I have seen the light :)

P.S. Now I understand why you feel compelled to share it with others, it makes
    a BIG difference.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    twangsta, LeiF, its.me and 1 other person like this.
  4. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

Nice to read/hear.
    Experimenting with the FOV is worthwhile. And then choose a setting that you enjoy. There is no "best" FOV. Only for yourself.
    Have fun !

5. Tundra

Tundra Hardcore Simmer

yeah I concur it´s reasonable having fear when stepping out of the confort zone. We all tend to drive in a way for time, so changing that takes courage.
    Lucky for you the change brought positive feelings. Enjoy!

6. Turk

Turk Alien

Games tend to look terrible on YouTube, no matter how much resolution or frame rate they throw at it, that compression just ruins image quality on fast moving stuff.

7. Spenceryin85527

Spenceryin85527 Simracer

I've just learned this recently :

You should align the in-game world horizon with your eye level with Pitch.

I have my monitor place slightly above my wheel, so my eye level is below the monitor's center. In order to align world horizon with my eye level I need to tilt the "camera" up.

This is what I did, First go to Monza drive out the pit and stop where can see the barrier with red arrow at first chicane. Try to look absolute straight ahead and mark with finger where are you looking at on the monitor. Then align the mark with top of the red arrow barrier (or anything is at in-game driver's eye level) with pitch.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  8. twangsta

twangsta Rookie

Assuming the virtual car is fixed to it's position in the world via it's wheels to the road.

The bumper & hood camera have an immovable position attached to the virtual car.

Same can be said for the in-cockpit views, the camera is also immovable in relation to the virtual car.

So what good it is moving the car chassis, as your position of your drivers camera to the virtual car remains the same, but the virtual car's model can be repositioned in relation to the actual virtual car's position. Makes no sense unless I have understood it wrong.

The problem is you cannot move the actual camera in relation to the virtual car, just it's FOV.

I want a view in the natural drivers position with the option of setting the cockpit's translucency. Is this an unreasonable request?

9. You can move the seat position in any direction which is pretty much the same thing as camera position.

At least in cockpit view.

twangsta likes this.
  10. twangsta

twangsta Rookie

This is not true, I don't see the seat offset change the position of the outside (world) view. So in effect you are only moving the model of the car's body.

11. Wouldnt the difference be negligable though?

I dont think sitting +/-15cm(?) forward is going to give you a completely different view out of your window?

I think I understand what you mean (even though I never noticed) and in theory I guess youre right, but would you be able to tell the difference from such a small offset?

twangsta likes this.
  12. twangsta

twangsta Rookie

The reason I noticed this is because I wanted the driver's camera view without the cockpit, but this is an option only on the bumper and hood view. So this bumper and hood view are not the natural drivers view, and again in these views changing the seat position doesn't affect your actual camera. In effect these camera views are positioned to the the frontal extremities of the car which is not natural to drive with at all.

So my simple solution would be to have a new option that allows you to make the in-cockpit view's car chaises translucent.

edit: This makes me think the camera rigging is not correct in ACC, either this was causing a coding complication or it's a serious design error.

The scene has a world map, virtual car position, the body rig & model, and the drivers camera. In ACC as it currently stands you can only move the body model, not the actual position of the user world camera in relation the the virtual car!

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  13. I have no id why anyone would even want to do that, but to each their own I guess :)

14. twangsta

twangsta Rookie

I can understand that sentiment, you are a very experienced sim racer from your badges, I'm not experienced and in my case I'm struggling to see the curbs, having the option to adjust the translucency like ACC has for the instrument cluster would help me a lot.

But if I may reiterate, this is an actual bug, moving the body is not the same as moving the seat in relation to the virtual car in the world. If this was not the case, the hood or bumper view would be perfectly adjustable to reposition it to the natural drivers position.

The_Bad_Fasterd likes this.
  15. I probably havent been simracing half as long as some people here, but 6 years does go a long way as far as simracing goes I guess.

If anything, Id recommend getting used to the non translucent cockpit view right from the start.
    We all struggled to see the curbs in the beginning, but its part of the learning process imo.
    If youre new, dont worry about driving perfect laps and setting alien laptimes.
    The learning part is super fun and you will probably benefit from learning this way in the long run.
    But thats just my 2 cents.

Regarding your actual question, not sure if its an actual bug or a design choice.
    Lets see if any of the devs can shed a light on this.

twangsta likes this.
  16. twangsta

twangsta Rookie

Thanks mate, I need to stick it to my OCD and just drive :)

I'm pretty sure it's a design compromise, it's a fairly basic scene setup issue, this is definitely intentional, I don't think AC or nkpro had this bug, but I could be wrong.

17. pankykapus

pankykapus KS Dev Team Staff Member KS Dev Team

What you call bumper view is not on the bumper but a copy of the dash cam without the car being rendered, so it's already inside the car. Also, changing camera offset doesn't move the car model, it moves the camera relative to the car. In the real cars the seat is fixed, what you can adjust is the wheel and the pedals. The ingame driver is rather tall (180+cm) but the offsets have wide enough of a range to cover for humans of all sizes. :)

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  18. @twangsta
    Tagged so you dont miss this...^^

twangsta likes this.
  19. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

The default dash view is quite high above the dash so I think Kunos have been nice :) Real drivers are probably seated a bit lower and we as sim racers would really struggle to see the track over the dash. My guess though.

Mogster likes this.
  20. Rebel_488

Rebel_488 Racer

Yeah jumping from vr to pancake this is what I notice. in vr I’m much lower and that’s fine but on monitor I find I make myself sit higher and as a result I can see more and I’m sometimes faster or can brake later on certain corners, which I didn’t expect at all.