1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Let's discuss iRacing - attempt #2

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by slopps, Sep 16, 2016.

1. chakko

chakko Alien

Interestingly, the Skippy is the car which always got the most work, because the main developer of iR, Dave Kaemmer, spent many, many hours in the real car, and, it's sort of the test car to test new things in the physics, which is kind of telling. :)

Anyway, don't want to bash iR, and it's surely complaining on a high level, but, from the sims i regularly drive and drove, it's surely the one which struggles the most in the area it so proudly tries to stand out, which is a shame, because its online mode wipes the floor with any other sim i know. So, the old puzzle game begins again. "Combine this sim with that sim, and take that element of that sim, and you have your dream sim". :)

BTW, i totally agree with you that iR makes you better in any other sim as well. Because it forces you to drive accurately, and approach the limit in a cautious manner. Which is sort of an oxy*****, because, you should be able to slide and drift, and not drive as straight as you do in iR.

2. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Yeah, I should do that. And yes I have a feeling that braking full force is not an advantage sometimes. Maybe I don't feel wheels locking or something... To me it is weird if optimal braking is a brake pedal on its halfway. I always smash brakes full force and then release it gradually, especially if the car has downforce. What is the rest of brake pedal travel for then ?

Well yeah, in some way. I have no knowledge about the real one actually, but it hardly dance at all, sometimes it slides if you downshift like maniac in mid corner. Nothing ever happens on giving power to wheels, usually it just understeers. Understeer is the main issue, sometimes I try to create cause, but it is difficult. There is some weird window when you must turn in maybe, otherwise braking late never seems to work, just going super wide, and understeering all the time.

My issue is that I seem to carry less speed on entry than other drivers. Perhaps thats because iR FFB feels differently.

3. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

Nope, spring and damper at 0 in the control panel. But we all have different ideas of what great FFB is, what I think is great you might think is rubbish and vice versa, to it's hard to say which is better.

Regarding the Skippy in iRacing, it used to be much more lively and tail-happy but the tire model change last year made it grippier and a bit easier to drive. If you watch onboards of the real car it looks quite stable and easy to drive, the real thing is probably somewhere between the iRacing version and rF2 version.

mantasisg 2 likes this.
  4. unknwn

unknwn Alien

Need to consider that rF2 Skippy haven't received tire model updates for a long time and rework (CPM and etc) will most likely make it easier to drive (just like other updated cars).

5. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

This is majorly disappointing to hear! :p

Gevatter likes this.
  6. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Some guys in iR were doing 1'35, when what I see in that video unlikely to go under 1'40. Braking into T1 seems to be earlier even than I do in iR, and I can't brake late in iR. Thats a coold video, thanks. Certainly looks like has to do more corections, catching plenty of little rear end slides. Doesn't really understeer.

7. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

Really depends on the conditions. I was in a practice server where the top guys were doing 1:35, I was at 1:37-38, it was cloudy and a bit cool. Next day I jumped into another practice server where it was sunny and clear and the top times were in the high 36's and best I could do was a high 38. Lap times in iRacing can vary a lot depending on the conditions.

Hard for me to tell exactly where they're braking but it seems to be in about the same place I do, just before the 3 marker where the asphalt widens. I do get some little slides at mid-turn or exit but yes, it likes to understeer on turn-in. There's not a lot of setup options for the car but from what I've read you can dial out some of the understeer and most seem to agree that you can pretty much use the same setup on all tracks.

8. Jake F

Jake F Gamer

Give me iRacing tracks and under-the-limit physics, Assetto Corsa over-the-limit physics and general tire model, and then add in RaceRoom sounds, and DREAMS WILL HAVE COME TRUE :D

Hmm, I don't do this in any sim. I always calibrate so that 100% braking is at a point where I'm absolutely STANDING on the brake pedal, because I never really want to be at 100%. I usually brake somewhere in the range of 60-85% (depending on the car, track, corner, camber, etc.) and trail brake off from there. Technically my load cell can take like 50% more force than I'm applying, but that range is useless to me if it makes me inconsistent (and tbh calibrating too high makes my knee hurt after a while lol).

9. Karolinis

Karolinis Racer

Oh and add to that the ability to choose the ffb you like - iRacing style or AC style. That would make a lot of people really happy I think. :)

mantasisg 2 likes this.
  10. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

IDK what happened but I somehow find myself not launching iR anymore. It could do lots with the fact that there simply aren't races for me lol I know Spec Racer was, but I just seem not to have it in schedule when I can simrace. But whatever...

Thats a good point, I also feel like iR has better physics under the limit, and not so nice over the limit, at least with certain cars I drove. I feel like iR suspension has more funky stuff going on which feels nice under the limit, but perhaps not entirely perfect on and over. I totally enjoyed rallycross beatle though, I guess Scott Speed deserves plenty of good words for it.

11. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

You can always race the Global MX5 Cup, they have races going off every hour and use all free tracks so you always have something to race. That's what I do when I don't have content to participate in other series that week. Plus the CTSV is at Okayama this week, another all free combo (be aware the CTSV is a bit weird feeling but still satisfying).

mantasisg 2 likes this.
  12. Jynnantonix

Jynnantonix Simracer

Yeh it's really annoying, but trust me, any more than 50% the wheels lock. Just try a comparison, going down a straight and hit the brakes as you normally do at a particular point and note where the car stops. Then do the same with 50% brake travel and see if there's a difference. I can almost guarantee it will be very noticeable.

mantasisg 2 likes this.
  13. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Will try that, hopefully soon. I just can't drop iR without participating in any Lotus 49 race. And I am D 3.99.

14. Orne

Orne Alien

I do like the CTS V, especially at Road Atlanta! This week or weekend at Okayama? Currently I only see the MX Global at Okayama.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  15. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 7.28.25 AM.png

cerebralvortex likes this.
  16. Orne

Orne Alien

Ahh ok. I dont have access to that. Must require something higher than a Rookie rating.

17. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

Ah, possibly. It's easy to get out of Rookie though, just do four Global MX5 Cup races where you start at the back and just drive around without crashing or going off track, finishing position doesn't matter. If you complete four races without any incident points (or at least not more than a few) you should get promoted out of rookies right away.

18. Orne

Orne Alien

Ahhh ok. I think I've only done two races. Thanx for the info !

19. Jake F

Jake F Gamer

Do you mean iR or SR? D3.99 is your Safety Rating (SR). iRating (iR) will be in the thousands.... hopefully. Being below 1000 means you're pretty slow (sorry if I'm offending anyone :confused:).

Increasing your SR is how you "unlock" more series, so to speak, while iR is just a general measure of your skill, meant to place you in the right split. If you're at D3.99, all you need to do is make sure you've done four D class races and increase your SR to 4.00+ and you'll be promoted to C.

I actually think you only need two Rookie races - just increase your Safety Rating above 3.00 and you'll be promoted to D class (instant promotion from Rookie requires 3.00, while instant promotion from the higher license levels requires 4.00)

20. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

I have risen to 1500 in my first two races with Miata, and ever since I have stayed at 1500. Thats really frustrating. I have been crashed out rather many times, considering that it is iR and I have done ~10-15 rces. I know I know.... it is always someone elses fault... thats how it goes.

I have been getting only 0.01 SR for about 3-4 last races I drove, and some of them I have performed rather well. Can't dig it.