1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Asus r9 270 - core 2 duo - performance/upgrade path decision

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by rzr1, Oct 2, 2014.

1. rzr1

rzr1 Simracer

Thanks so much for the help, everyone.Problem is i dont have the old 5770 anymore.Also i got a full refund on the R9.I will try and calculate a budget and post it here but it`s difficult since in Romania prices are a bit more expensive.Thing is i absolutely need a cpu with a integrated graphics solution :(.this will limit the choices.

2. Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster Hardcore Simmer

rzr1 likes this.
  3. Guido Trampe

Guido Trampe Simracer

I would advise NEVER to go for a MOBO with onboard graphics. Chances are you will end up with major driver problems as soon as you have bought a decent GPU in time. I have seen my share off troubles with it, making low budget pc's for my kids. Better to find a cheap 2e hand card for the time beeing.

rzr1 likes this.
  4. rzr1

rzr1 Simracer

Ha that`s too kind, i have no ideea how much would it cost, but let me thank you for your generosity but it`s better for you to keep it, you never know when you will need it, for a test or something. :) I really apreciate !

I might have a buyer for the E8500 and motherboard, this evening so things are starting to look better, i`l post here what i`m thinking of getting soon.I also managed to sell some of the old ram. Tho i sell them dead cheap, 9 euro for 2gb ddr2 and i`m looking to get about 25 euro for cpu and mobo, i kind of throw the mb for free just so i can sell it fast.But every penny adds up.

5. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

The 970 GTX is a great buy right now if you can afford it.

6. yate loon

yate loon Gamer

I honestly thought you were from a natively English speaking country as your English is perfect!

For you I think an APU would be absolutely perfect! The newer one's have pretty strong per core performance and the onboard GPU component is a lot stronger than anything from Intel, plus you can add a dedicated GPU later if you ever need the extra power and combine it with the onboard GPU.

rzr1 likes this.
  7. rzr1

rzr1 Simracer

[​IMG]

I found some benchmarks on intel i3 and i5 vs their amd counterpart, and i kind of consider amd, because intel it`s expensive and when it comes down to multi-core performance amd seem really decent, and as you sugested an APU just seems to perfectly fit my situation, plus i really dont want an i3 with only 2 cores even if it has 4 threads..i can get 6 cores or something from amd for the same money and i hope this will benefit me more in the future, maybe.

8. Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster Hardcore Simmer

Nothing wrong with AMD CPU's and they are great if you're on a budget but they can't match Intel really.

You could get a Z77 board and Ivy i5 new for less than £200 in the UK, not sure how that converts to your currency but the i5 will have HD4000 integrated graphics and the board will have DDR3 support, USB3.0, PCIe 3.0 and all sorts if you go for a decent-ish one. I also built my machine over time on a tight budget whilst waiting for my old machine to slowly die :D

rzr1 likes this.
  9. Berry

Berry Alien

The i3 is a great processor, if you don't do gaming or CPU intensive applications, otherwise, AMD's are a better choice, for a lot less money.As the others have said, the main platform of your PC is a much more consistent and worthwhile upgrade.
    You are selling that CPU and MB pretty much dirt cheap, the E8500 was a great CPU and an overclocking beast, I remember having an E8400 a few years back, blisteringly fast for a dual core at that time.Imho, if you would have had the certainty of a future CPU+MB+RAM upgrade I would have said a PSU and GPU upgrade would have sufficed, but in this case it's for the best.
    As for the integrated GPU in the Ivy iX series processors, it's not bad...but it's...not good either.From a gaming standpoint, you can barely play anything, I know this because my GPU recently died and I'm saving up to buy something decent, til' then...
    Good luck with your purchase!
    Glad to see a fellow romanian AC player as well:).

rzr1 likes this.
  10. rzr1

rzr1 Simracer

Ok guys, so after my eyes stopped bleeding from so much reading about all the new APUs and all the Intel generations, and amd processors + motherboard sockets...what i`m saying is that i was still stuck in 2008 :D lol..i finally came to some sort of a conclusion.

Intel - i fell that an i3 would not suffice my needs or will slightly fall off in the next few years so i ruled that out.Still good processor.
    -the i5 is kind of what i would want but i cant have it.it`s just a bit more expensive than i can afford.

AMD - APU processors,first of all i want to say that this is such a great tehnology i barelly knew it existed before.It`s great bang for your buck but from what i managed to understand and please correct me if i`m wrong, is that it`s verry good for gaming on a budget and it has 1 major downside that i would talk about latter.For instance i can get an A10 quad core processor with integrated R7 graphics...for an i3 price...this is CRAZY ! verry good value, but as i plan to later upgrade to a dedicated graphic card it`s not good.Why? because as a combined solution these kind of APUs are great but their raw processing power, cpu side, struggles to match an i3.So, if i upgrade to an R9 or who knows after a few months the processor is going yet AGAIN to be the only limiting factor and wont let me exploit the maximum of the new gpu, so as a pure budget solution it`s definetelly a yes but if you plan to upgrade much higher it will fall off.

What i think i will get after all this :
    AMD FX 8320 - it seems to be the best all arounder...price, performance close and posibbly matching an i5 and YET still cheaper than any i5 i can buy..not to mention that 8 cores sounds just to sexy to refuse.

So i am thinking this + some motherboard + some any ram + a good psu + the cheapest gpu i can find to buy until i get a new one.

Please let me know what you think, i really had put a lot of effort in thinking this solution and i hope i got it all right. :)

11. rzr1

rzr1 Simracer

@Berry i was so emotionally attached to the E8500 that i refused to even consider an upgrade for years :D

sry for double post

12. V8_KB

V8_KB Alien

I'll still say get a used i5.:p
    You probably won't buy the one with K letter (unlocked) so there's almost no risk in buying a used one. Those with P letter don't have integrated graphics and those with S letter are a little bit weaker than the same models without S.
    I don't know what are the prices in Romania, but where I live I can buy used i5 for less than a new FX 8320.

rzr1 likes this.
  13. yate loon

yate loon Gamer

The A10 7850K is currently AMD's strongest per core performing processor, I really wish they would take those cores and put them in an 8 core processor lol :p But you're totally right, the tiny bit extra per core performance is not going to compete with an 8320 in well multithreaded games and Assetto Corsa looks like one game that will use all cores available so good choice! I honestly haven't come across many games yet where I can't completely max them out, or almost completely max them out @ 1080p with a constant 60+FPS with just one of my two cards enabled with a slightly weaker CPU in comparison to the FX 8320.

Deatroy likes this.
  14. rzr1

rzr1 Simracer

@V8_KB I am reticent in buying a second hand processor but tomorrow i`ll check the prices.:)
    @yate loon Everything looked so good until 5 mins ago when i looked at some motherboards AM3+..i`ve read a lot of horror storyes from ppl that said motherboards werent somehow powerfull enough for the fx8320 and maybe i can overcome this but what utter garbage is this...most of the reasonably priced ones and i dont mean the absoute cheapest still have only SATA 2 ?? What the hell.......this is such a massive turn off for me, i also read storyes of them runing verry hot and i just have a general feeling that intel mb are better made but how could this be possible since there are the same companies that make them..? Is this just a false impresion of mine or it`s something here that i miss.If i go buy the cheapest intel mb it will have sata 3 and all the goodies while amd ones seem random/haotic, also regarding the max RAM frequenicy, a cheap one will have 1600mhz and a more expensive one only 1300 mhz, what is this srsly :D ?

15. yate loon

yate loon Gamer

I can remember my days of shopping around for computer parts, it's a bit of a minefield lol :D I used a site called Idealo so I could just check the features that I wanted in a motherboard although pcpartpicker would be a better site... though I've never heard of an AM3+ board not being powerful enough to run an AM3+ CPU :D I have heard of boards requiring a BIOS update before they can run an AM3+ processor (mine did), or motherboards failing after someone has tried to overclock their FX processor on a board not suited for it (which is why I went with the 970A-UD3 as it was the only AM3 board at the time with an 8+2 power phase). Which board are you looking at with SATA 2? I know that every 970 chipset board which is the lowest end current generation chipset from AMD has SATA 3, even every 850 chipset board does. I would say Intel chipset boards are definitely better quality at the high end, but on the lower end, there's really no difference in terms of quality. AMD processors do run hot definitely (I had my CPU @ 4.7GHz stable but I was literally right on the VRM heat threshold @ ~64°C), but on a decent motherboard the VRM heatsink is designed to cope with this and even the older MSI 970 chipset based boards shouldn't have a problem with any standard clocked FX CPU with the exception of the 9370 and 9790.

16. rzr1

rzr1 Simracer

The ones i looked at have the 760 chipset or something i think and the others are kind of out of reach.
    Tomorrow i`l also try and configure a pc with an i3 just to see how it would look in terms of money/performance.
    still not decied :S thanks for all the info it really helps :d

17. Deatroy

Deatroy Alien

Midclass card for over 320 bucks is not a great buy, its overpriced.
    Sorry but GM204 is only midclass and Big Maxwell aka GM200 will be better in any way.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mit Tapatalk

18. mike9572

mike9572 Racer

Midclass?? Then, why is the GTX970 at 2nd position in Gaming GPU ranking board? (right behind the GTX980). :confused:

19. Deatroy

Deatroy Alien

Lets see the history of NV cards:

Nvidia's naming scheme for graphics chips and the associated die area:
    XX0 = Highend with about 500 mm --> Titan X or 980ti
    XX4 = Performance with about 300 mm --> GTX 970/980
    XX6 = Mainstream with 150-240 mm
    XX8 = entry to 120 mm ²

Graphics chip allocation to the respective charts for the G80 series:
    G80 (8800 GTX) 484 mm
    G90 - never published, came instead of G92 (9800 GTX) with 324 mm (. Single chip with Duo identification. G94, G96 and G98 were in this generation relatively small. The GTX 8800 had no enemie.)
    GT200 (GTX 280) 576 mm
    GF100 (GTX 480) 526 mm
    GF110 (GTX 580) 520 mm
    GK100 - never appeared, instead you just took the performance chip GK104 (GTX 680) with 294 mm
    GK110 (GTX 780 / titanium) 550 mm
    GM100 - Attention speculation (!): Was probably planned for 20nm and was scrapped already on the drawing board after it became clear that the 20nm process was delayed.
    GM200 - Once it has worked quite well for the Kepler series with money scamming, NV releases first the performance chip aka midclass GM204 as GTX 980. You think obviously: "WOW this is soooo powerfull!!!11!"
    But they release Titan II o 980ti later as 500 mm high-end chip and start to scam the people again.

20. mike9572

mike9572 Racer

So both ranking boards on internet are BS? From both (worldwide) websites?
    Just re-read your post: do you mean that in your mind the 970 is midclass in prevision of next series? If yes, then laFerrari is a midclass car because there will be much better in a few months/years. :confused:
    Or i miss something...
    NVM, i guess it's a matter of point of view.