1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Asus r9 270 - core 2 duo - performance/upgrade path decision

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by rzr1, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster Hardcore Simmer

Ah the memories haha, I remember upgrading the pitiful RAM on that old machine and installing a voodoo2, turning it on and blowing the power supply, all so I could play GPL and Interstate '76 :D

I still have a working voodoo 2 in an ancient AMD machine in the garage, can't bring myself to throw it away!

yate loon and dangerscouse like this.
  2. mms

mms Alien

Hey, those voodoos had lifetime warranty if I recall correctly, so don't throw it away :D

dangerscouse and Talkie Toaster like this.
  3. demerzel

demerzel Racer

4. dauntless

dauntless Alien

Imagine top of the line graphics card today without any fans and without heatsinks! And it would need only one pci slot!

dangerscouse likes this.
  5. mike9572

mike9572 Racer

That's what i bought a few days ago and would suggest for those with this budget: gtx 760 now 170€. Very good deal. Steady 60 FPS at start of a race at last position with 23 AI cars. Settings in my sig.

6. yate loon

yate loon Gamer

I do completely agree with you on the naming scheme, don't get me wrong mate. The only place where we have a difference of opinion is that I don't think they have to price according to die size, or the naming scheme whereas you do (which can cover quite a wide range). Nvidia have never released a 'performance class' GPU that is so over powered compared to everything else that is available on the market at performance level for under £450! Yet they have done just that in the case of the GTX 970 and they're absolutely not selling the GTX 970 at high end prices although maybe they are advertising it as such but I'm not even interested in what it's being advertised as.

GTX 560 ti UK launch price - £239.99
    GTX 660 ti UK launch price - £250
    GTX 670 UK launch price - £329
    GTX 680 UK launch price - £450
    GTX 760 UK launch price - £210
    GTX 770 UK launch price - £329
    GTX 970 UK launch price - £259

Riva TNT2>Voodoo 3>Voodoo 2 :p I still have my TNT2 Ultra sitting around somewhere :D I still remember buying that thing because Half-Life was unplayable on my Cyrix 686MX's (233Mhz CPU FTW!) onboard GPU :$

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  7. rzr1

rzr1 Simracer

I remember the dissapointment when my father bought home a friend with an voodoo graphic card that he had, ready to install it on my pentium 2 pc...only to find out it wont work.(i dont remmeber why but it was not compatible) lol. i also remember when my father bought me a sound card for my pentium 1 so i could listen to music ..WOW, :D

8. Deatroy

Deatroy Alien

Well fine, you forget the 980 :D

Anyway we have different opinions, but i wont try to change your mind.
    ;)

Its up to the people, i posted the technical infos, everyone can understand what i mean if he want to (referring to small DIE size of GTX 680 and 980).
    When NV will release Big Maxwell (980ti, Titan, etc.) i will be happy or AMD makes me happy, will see.
    But its rzr's topic, so i am out now:p

9. yate loon

yate loon Gamer

That reminds me of when I got a Voodoo 4 4500 to upgrade my TNT2 Ultra and it wouldn't work for some reason :(

I could include the UK launch price of the GTX 980, absolutely no problem - £429, I just didn't include it as it's not the one I'm interested in, it's the GTX 970 I'm interested in and how you feel that the GTX 970 in particular is a scam when it offers the best price:performance ratio of perhaps any video card... ever!

10. rzr1

rzr1 Simracer

Hello guys.If everything goes well tomorrow i may order my new pc parts...finally !!
    I already bought the GPU because i got a nice deal on it ~ 117 pounds for Sapphire r9 270 2gb gddr5 - it was almost 20 pounds cheaper than the next r9 270 from asus/msi..basicly the same cards so i had to get this one fast :D.

Tomorrow i hope to order and please help me if you see something wrong, the following parts :

Asus Z97-K + i5 4690 K for 233 pounds. - this motherboard comes with this specific procesor at a discount if i buy them together.I initialy wanted to get the i5 4690 non K paired with a cheaper motherboard but with this offer standing there is no point in not getting this offer.I DO NOT plan to overcock at all but it`s nice to have the option, again i get the k edition because with this mb it costs me the same as the non k processor.

THE PSU - option 1
    OR option 2

Please tell me Superflower is good enough it`s a nightmare to find a good psu and i cant go something more expensive than this.The psu costs 45 pounds and the modular one has a disscount.(the second one)

Help ?? :D

Talkie Toaster likes this.
  11. yate loon

yate loon Gamer

Superflower are brilliant, up there with SeaSonic. I would go with the Golden Green, the SF-500P is their budget PSU and the PSU isn't something that you want to skimp on; it is extremely rare, but there are horror stories of PSU's failing and taking out all other components with them. Can't believe you got that combo deal, that is a seriously good deal! :eek: That would cost me £282 here! I'm saving the pennies for an i5 4690k and either a Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5, Z97X-UD3H or MSI Z97 Gaming 5 and I might get an R9 290 or GTX 970 later on :D

rzr1 likes this.
  12. Berry

Berry Alien

Good choice, and the PSU's are great for the money, as yate loon said, go with the Golden Green.
    As far as PSU's go, my first PC had a crappy Delux PSU, when it went bust during a power outage it killed the motherboard, CPU and GPU...

rzr1 likes this.
  13. yate loon

yate loon Gamer

This is going to be a HUUUUUGE upgrade from your old rig too, you're going to have to stop your jaw from hitting the floor lol.

Ouch :( I've dealt with so many stories like that (I've done helpdesk level 1, 2 and 3 and I co-own a computer shop). Last week someone's generic PSU set his computer on fire lol.

rzr1 likes this.
  14. rzr1

rzr1 Simracer

Thanks for the feedback guys, i really appreciate it :) . I cant wait until tomorrow to go and order the parts and usually shiping only takes 1 day so in 2 days i may have my new pc ready :D.
    I felt also that the mb+ cpu combo it`s pretty good as far as price goes and i dont want to miss it(it also comes with a 1 year license for bit defender antivirus wich is nice,bit defender promotions are verry frequent because it is actually a romanian software company :D ).Also having an intel K processor makes it A LOT more future proof i think so if anyone wants to get an i5 4590 or 4690 i think it`s worth the effort to stretch to a 4690 k even if you dont overclock.There will be a time when you will be happy with the decision.As far as i saw it can reach 4.5 ghz pretty easy..this is crazy if u ask me. @yate loon hopefully i can provide you with some feedback about i5 4690k if you also want to get it, i`d be more than happy to do so.

Fun fact related to prices : Romania avereage wage is 314 pounds
    and minimum wage is 162 pounds

so yeah :/ lol im going to pay for the next 12 months for this pc :D

15. yate loon

yate loon Gamer

I'd be interested in seeing what kind of performance you get with an i5 with your 270 (are you gonna be playing at 1080?)? :D

I'm just about to auction my two video cards on eBay, can't believe how much R9 270's are going for these days though, mine aren't even a year old and have depreciated by almost 60% in value but I need the cash to get a shiny GTX 970 :D I've decided to go for a new video card first and then see how much I'm held back by my CPU in AC and decide from there if I go for an i5 or not.

16. rzr1

rzr1 Simracer

Yes, i will be playing at 1080p.I think upgrading the gpu is the way to go on your sitem.That FX still has a lot of cores and high clock so it should be ok.
    I think we can test by setting all the visuals to minimum and then run a grid of maximum AI and see the avereage fps :).
    In my configuration the r9 270 it`s the "weakest" part but did you found crossfire worth it or not ? :)

17. rzr1

rzr1 Simracer

HOLLY ****ING ****...i hate this ****ing country..after 2 weeks of waiting the credit card wich allows me to loan the money so i can buy all the pc parts , came today...ONLY to find out the PIN CODE will come separatelly after a few DAYS..its been 2 ****ing weeks of waiting for a ****ing useless card without a PIN code !!!!!

I cant wait to finish university and leave this **** country...the land is beautiful to bad it is populated with mostly stupid people........

I apologize for swearing but AC is out and i still cant play it and this makes me angry...
    Also considering my luck by the time PIN arrives the motherboard + cpu promotion will end or something

18. mike9572

mike9572 Racer

If you buy on a website, do you still need PIN? Usually you only need the 3 numbers on the back of the card. But maybe it's different in your country.

rzr1 likes this.
  19. yate loon

yate loon Gamer

Yeah, the FX 6300 overclocked to 4.5GHz or above can push a GTX 970 100% but it is going to be a slight bottleneck when it comes to AC because of the erratic core usage but I should still get a lot out of a 970. Bulldozer, Piledriver and Steamroller are strange architectures in that they do have 4, 6 or 8 integer cores in the case of Bulldozer and Piledriver, but only 1 FPU shared between 2 integer cores and most games rely on floating point performance, so when it comes to gaming, an FX 4 core is effectively a dual core core with 4 threads, a 6 core is effectively a triple core with 6 threads and so on... Whereas you'll have 4 powerful true cores; the i5 is seriously kick ***! :p

It'd be awesome to see how our rigs compare though :D I haven't managed to find a decent balance between visual quality and performance yet with the RC release. Crossfire does work with ~80% scaling in AC but it takes a bit of fiddling about in CCC and I have to set reflection rendering frequency to high at a minimum or it flickers like crazy; it's a huge performance hit too :( That's the main reason why I'm selling my my 2 cards and getting a single card, which I should have done in the first place lol :p

I had a similar thing with my credit card :( before I could use it I had to wait for the pin and then either go to a cash machine or go online to activate it, fingers crossed you get it in time!

rzr1 likes this.
  20. rzr1

rzr1 Simracer

@mike9572 Good ideea but i tryed and i have to wait 2 days before i can enable mastercard 3D secure so i can buy online..because **** me that`s why :D
    @yate loon i can`t wait to tell you how it runs :D

After a whole day of phonecalls and **** i managed to get the PIN, the problem with all the delay was at national post service...........ANYWAY i managed to order the parts aaaandddd i already ****ed up..i ordered 1.65v ram instead of 1.5v..i am retarded but after all this **** storm i was really getting tired.Will try and replace them with 1.5v when they arrive :)

The forum auto censoring really helps me reallize how much i swear sometimes lol,