1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Look what the cat hacked in - s02eo2

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by zaratul, Aug 25, 2015.

1. dauntless

dauntless Alien

Well no matter where you pick your points you will always have too little or too much somewhere.

2. that's for sure.. it's a matter of understanding if this is something that can really generate the anomalies that people think to see.

F430_458_F12 likes this.
  3. misterbeam

misterbeam Hardcore Simmer

With the current solution, and high load sensitivity ... you may end up with some very strange behaviour! like rears floating and going left and right in straights!

4. just need to work smarter. In your example you've got 4 points.. 3 of them form almost a perfect line, and they are in a very interesting range of loads.. is it worth to loose our sleep to decide whether a tyre with small load has +-0.3mu ? Ignore the first point and you've got a perfectly working linear load sensitivity.

Glaurung and F430_458_F12 like this.
  5. misterbeam

When it comes to traction/braking for example, it really does matter!

I have a car that weighs 600 Kg and has a 850 HP engine ... flooring the pedal in 1st gear (let's say 2nd gear because in AC, you can't spin the car easily in 1st gear, but that's another subject) should send me straight into the closest the wall :D , but i also want this car to have enough grip to take high speed corners at the speed it was designed for :) with a linear function you have to sacrifice one or the other or cheat on the aero balance with controllers ;)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    Epocx likes this.
  6. actually in longitudinal the load sensitivity is usually pretty small (in some tyre models even 0).. because as the load increases so does the length of the contact.

7. nonnex

nonnex Alien

So what you suggest is to have an option to point the D parameters also to lookup tables? Well, would be nice, but I think the lord needs more persuasive arguments to accept that additional work.

The diffs between the envelopes are indeed not that big. Maybe if we would have more extreme, convincing and trustful data (sadly very rare) that affects the current cars it would may pay out. ;)

Hm, well if we (moders) want to make this right we should grab our money together and buy this (or similar) one, hehe-

8. misterbeam

If realism is not peruasive enough, then i can't do better :) i have data with non linear curves, i want to match that and that's it.

9. nonnex

nonnex Alien

I know that feeling, I hate it when my data dont match the sim too, but some little deaths here and there we have to die (compromises). Its not an academic simulator we have to accept that, its a game and a very good one. So we must live with some space for our data :p

10. nonnex

nonnex Alien

Ah btw maybe if we stop begining our sentences with "I have the feeling that..." (just in general and not pointing to someone) then...
    Well, maybe this would lead to a good mooded cat somewere in the world, and it could be a task for this good mooded cat that have nothing else todo for one hour on a beautifull sunday.... hehe
    (just kidding, dont know how much effort, maybe its really not worth the invest)

11. misterbeam

Yes, but when it comes to lateral grip, it's different ... that initial tyre response is very important!

12. misterbeam

I missed this one!
    The high speed corners "issue" is like 60% due to bad aerodynamics too, if you don't get the balance right no matter how your tyres are working it won't fix it :)

13. well the good news is that it is really easy to make into a lookup table... but I hate broken lines in my sims so I'd prefer a smooth lookup table which I dont have yet (but I would like to do sometime in the future). I am all fine as long we don't call these things "bugs" or stuff that need to be "fixed" cause they are not :)

The video is very interesting.. because it points out the "problems" with tyre testing. What is the "road" material made of? How does it relate to a race tarmac? Even the velocity of the "sweeps" to record slip angles forces have a big effect on the results.. I've seen a lot of these data and they often were very "optimistic" :p about the amount of grip.

14. That's exactly (almost, I think that 60% is more like 99% :D ) what I think about the "issue" :) .. and the reason I've always been skeptical in looking into tyres to approach it.

LeDude83, hazardic and AurusCE like this.
  15. nonnex

nonnex Alien

Yap way too many factors that play into, very true.

Sadly... or should I say fortunately, because if it were easy todo everybody could do such good physics for their product.

So, better to say thanks for what we have and stop saying "feeling", "bug" and "fix" in one sentence, fair enough.
    We should replace them with "trustfull data", "feature", "improvement" :p

Well, nice that you take time to share some thoughts on it. Maybe its really not a bad thing to have it. who knows when we would need it in future.
    From the stream you are going to change the tire value procedures anyway. Why not putting that in the bag too?

16. Let's do this.. as soon AC hits 1 millions sales I'll put the lookup table in :p.. sounds fair to me :D

Dookie, nate, Minolin and 2 others like this.
  17. misterbeam

Yeah, but let's be honest ... linear curve is not very representative!

The F138 for example is a car with a huge level of downforce (probably can produce around 1900kg@300km/h) ! it's fast in high speed corners ... but still can't take many of them full throttle, like Pouhon, Copse! that's where load sensitivity would make a difference! but again i have no idea on its aero balance though!

18. nonnex

nonnex Alien

At least we have planted a seed... lets give it some time, patience and care to grow now :)

A one Million tree? Maybe, who knows. lol

19. Tberg

Tberg Alien

PuffTheMagicBelgian likes this.
  20. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Linear curve is totally adequate, as long as you work in the right domain... I just shoved those 4 datapoints into excel for fun, calculated the actual lateral forces generated, those work very well under a linear regression:
    [​IMG]
    (coefficients: 2800N constant + 0.8N per N normal force)

Of course, 2800N available with 0 load is evidence that race tires are more like glue, it still sticks even if you're not holding things together.

If 4 year Bachelors education in math/stats has taught me 1 thing, that would be: almost any physics problem is linear, once you pick the right units. Holds true as long as you stay away from things like the speed of light or the speed of sound (unfortunately automotive engines get uncomfortably close to the second of those on intakes)