1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Teach me- avoiding tank slappers (snap back oversteer)?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by claudiopolez, Dec 18, 2013.

1. RelapseUK

RelapseUK Racer

The Thrustmaster GT 500 RS is a weapons grade bit of kit. Bloody expensive though.

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Simracer

I'm having a similiar, but slightly different problem, and i also have a T500RS wheel. The counter rotation of the wheel is almost outputting to much power, the speed is great, but it's the torque that seems too much and it wants to make the wheel continue correcting way best centre giving me a lot of left-right-left-right moments upon correction. I also tried lowering in-game gain to 0.4 and tried a few other values, seemed to help just a very small amount, not much.

It would be nice if we could get our wheels to similiar to this, in AC...

Actually, I advise to watch the whole video regardless of what sim/game you play as he explains lots of stuff about driving techniques, understeer, oversteer, drifting, weight transfer, etc. The actul drifting stuff starts at 13:20 :)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  3. Bill

Bill Gamer

Exactly what's been happening for me on a Fanatec GT3. The speed of the wheel is great, but the torque is immense. It feels like there's no power steering in the cars and that all the steering components in it are almost rust locked unless turning the wheel is working with the momentum and the wheel slides like butter. Turning FFB down to 30-40 does decrease this effect a lot, but it also makes the wheel feel dead when you want to use the momentum to spin the wheel.
    Live For Speed has a similar problem, but it's a lot more toned down so it's easier to just turn down FFB to 70 and still have a lot of feel in the wheel.
    In AC however, trying to catch a drift seems to be like trying to catch a brick wall.
    I don't really need tutorials for drifting. I wish it were that easy. I've drifted tons in real life and although I do feel that moment where you need to wrench the wheel back, it's not like wrenching a wall. It's still somewhat smooth.

edit: also, I think it may have something to do with how the car grips in AC. In real life when a car snaps back, a lot of times you're fine as long as you do some quick steering and pedal work. In AC it seems as though the car is absolutely determined to spin with no chance of recovery if you snap at the end of a drift. It could just be me, but I feel like there's something going on here that shouldn't be.

4. speedyyellow

speedyyellow Rookie

That LFS T500 video looks so smooth, my T500 spins like twice as fast as that in AC when going into a slide and requires huge effort to pull it straight again. It's certainly not finger and thumb control like in that video. :)

5. Queequeg

Queequeg Racer

There is also the issue of video lag. That means that even though framerate and input lag are fine (i.e. high and low) the animation can lag behind the actual physics. Thuis can make recovering from a slide without fishtailing harder.
    You can find a thread about it here:
    https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/fps-and-perceived-lag.1481/
    In there it is suggested to limit the framerate to 60 (via menu or edit the cfg/video.ini with "FPS_CAP=60") and set "MAXIMUM_FRAME_LATENCY=1" in system/cfg/dx11.ini.
    I did both these changes and I FEEL the game runs smoother and I can control slides better. I capslocked I FEEL because I could be wrong here and I simply got better at drifting the E30 ;)
    Still might be worth a try.
    EDIT: Limiting the framerate to 60 obviously only helps if the game always runs with at least 60fps. But you want 60+ fps at all times anyway.

6. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

I sugest you get in touch with the guy with T500 whose LFS drifting I posted on the prev page as he also made several awesome AC drift vids. Force Feedback settings always a bit tricky to set up as it involves both ingame FF and wheel software FF options interacting. But this "MrTeeh" settings have got to be good for his T500:

speedyyellow likes this.
  7. Awesome vid!!! Wish I could drive like that but not going to happen

8. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

It's actually not that hard, specially with that nicely balanced e30 chassis + 55' steering lock + that magical 343hp 8,200rpm straight six
    Hi didn't even do backward entry @ T1:rolleyes:

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Simracer

Nice video, but it's not showing the real life driver/wheel so we can't see how his wheel is acting.

The LFS video looks a little too slow and light/easy, but then again LFS physics do that as they make every car overly driftable in such an overly relaxed and progressive manner, a little too much.

The Niels vid I posted has a great mix of wheel speed but the controllability of the LFS video.

It's not a tutorial for people that don't know how to drift. I suggest checking it out. It's from the guy behind Game Stock Car 2013's physics, one of the top sims around.

10. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

the only thing for me in the talk & drive video above, is the way he spins the wheel back round as if its really loose, like some 80s arcade game. Im not sure if a real wheel can act like this, but im not a drifter, but he says thats a stock nsx no?

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Simracer

Thats how cars act when you drift them, it's the complete opposite of arcade and currently seems more realistic than AC drifting, and that's RFactor 1, a sim from like 8 years ago.

Anyways, I don't want to turn this into a battle between games, the intention of that video was to show how a wheel is supposed to properly act, but it is definitely the opppsite of arcade.

12. If I'm not mistaken that is a several thousand dollar wheel. Think about that and let it sink in for a minute.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Simracer

I have a T500RS and can get a similiar effect in that video. A sort of mix between that video and the LFS video, so I don't need to let anything "sink in".

No need to talk like a jerk.

14. The wheel that Neils uses in the talk and drive videos is not a T500RS...I can't think of the name of it currently but it is several thousand dollars. It should and does act and react like an actual wheel should and not sure what part of that made me sound like a jerk but whatever.

UOPshadow and kalabaleek like this.
  15. Avoletta

Avoletta Simracer

Leo Bodnar wheel

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

16. $4000 wheel.....absolutely nothing arcade about that....sorta unrealistic to expect a G27 or T500 to give anywhere near the feedback that does.

17. 2re

2re Racer

1. I think first and foremost we need to tune our AS settings to eliminate any graphics/input lag.
    Please share settings and ini file tweaks that works better for you.

2. Then we need FF settings that doesn't fight back when we're trying to unwind from counter steering the wheel.
    Please share wheel settings that works better for you.

3. Car specific setups and tweaks.
    Some use 900 rotation others 720 etc. What's best for you?

4. General AS drifting tips.

Copy and past your tips between the lines.

18. UOPshadow

UOPshadow Gamer

But you should at least think about your language...

19. Peaknik

Peaknik Rookie

I've seen videos of people drifting with a G27 (the wheel I own), but many use a smaller degrees of rotation to make it easier, so with a faster wheel like the T500 RS would it be much easier (as it is shown in the video above) without changing the degrees of rotation?

20. Im running a DFGT and when towards the end of a drift when it's time to stop contersteering I have to turn the wheel against the FFB which obviosuly slows my steering input down and I cannot react fast enough. Initiating and during a drift there is good feel from the FFB and it helps sense what the car is doing, it is just the end phase that is a struggle. Could it be that the DFGT isn't fast enough as a hardware device in these situations? I know it's not the best wheel in the world, and for normal track driving it feels really good in AC, but the drifting is quite difficult with it due to fighting against the forces in the recovery phase.

LFS on the other hand I do not have this problem although I do somewhat on Niels Honda NSX mod for RF1 although less than in AC.