1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Teach me- avoiding tank slappers (snap back oversteer)?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by claudiopolez, Dec 18, 2013.

1. I also have great difficulty with tank slappers. I am determined to learn since I believe that there is significant benefits for harry situations and looks to be extremely rewarding. Right now I cannot get my head around it and the ease that everyone seems to do it blows my mind.

Do any of you have any recommendations on a car to learn? Also, I get frustrated that, even on the drift course, I get the annoying slow-down penalty...any way to turn it off?

2. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

I have nearly given up, so the "ease that everyone seems to do it" is exaggerated by youtube vids I'm sure :) It's not easy, especially on a cheap DFP/DFGT, becuase, as previous poster have said, you need to fight against FF during the recovery phase.

The annoying slow down penalty is easy to remove though- just practice in "Practice Mode", not "Hot Lap" or "Time Trial".

3. For me the easiest car to get the back end hung out and catch without spinning is the S3 458. I am pretty sure that any given lap at Silverstone I have the wheel upside down at least three times on purpose. When I do get a little too crazy or when I have thoroughly pissed off the back tires from sliding too much I have a little over 50% chance of catching a tank slapper with only a loss of time and speed instead of ending up parked backwards.

It seems the biggest trick to catching the slappers before they kill you is fast hands....gotta be fast on the wheel without going to far....damn tricky and I still end up backwards way more than I want to but I'm catching alot more of them than I was a month ago also.

4. WallyM

WallyM Alien

After watching this, I'm finding it impossible to hold a drift in the M3 (drift tuned). I just loop the rear around, every time. Too much throttle? I'm trying to drift in 3rd rather than 2nd with a tiny bit more success, which might mean I'm giving it too much throttle. I've also lightened the FFB to nearly nothing so I can move the wheel faster, but there seems to be such a tiny sweet spot of steering angle that you need, which is really hard to find when you're moving the wheel fast. Likewise with the throttle position. I've never drifted a car in real life, but it feels like it would be much easier to drift in real life than in the sim.

5. WallyM

WallyM Alien

I have the same wheel, and no way does it move in my hands like that in AC. The physics or FFB must be significantly different.

6. WallyM

WallyM Alien

I give up. I can't drift the M3 for peanuts without just tank slapping off the track.

7. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

Don't give up, drifting IS hard ;) Maybe you need to tweak some settings, but T500 wheel looks to work perfect in AC

Tank slappers and sudden grip are killers in real life too, just look at this vid where people with powerful cars find out the hard way :) (@ 0:40, 1:42 is like carbon copy from AC, as well as 2:16, 5:35, 6:53, 10:22, 10:40, 11:25, 13:09).

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  8. Giving up because you can't learn to drift in a day is a bit ridiculous don't you think?

9. pankykapus

pankykapus KS Dev Team Staff Member KS Dev Team

What most people miss (based on experience with friends having a go in my rig), is that you have to be one step ahead with coming back from countersteering or else you'll end up facing the wrong direction.

When you make the back-end step out, let the wheel do the countersteering, but be prepared to center the wheel again before the slide is over. The problem most of the time is that when the rears regain grip, you're probably still busy countersteering, but that's already too late, your wheel should be centered just before the rears would regain grip. It's a bit complex because then we still haven't considered playing with the throttle to maintain the slide.

You shouldn't give up because it can be very rewarding in AC when you get the hang of it. :)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    Kristaps and claudiopolez like this.
  10. Hellraiser

Hellraiser Gamer

I also had extreme trouble drifting with cars, until I changed the settings of the pre-rendered frames from 0 to 1. I still suck at drifting (oh well, learning by doing) but it made it a hell of a lot easier than before. Maybe this is also something to think of.

11. WallyM

WallyM Alien

It's a matter of spending the time on what, for me, is a novelty. It would be nice to drift, but I'm not making any progress, and I've got better things to waste my time on.

12. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

13. For me its a warning sign that Wally has troubles.I believe that there has to be some ffb coding attention cause right now,especially with the t500rs the ffb is muddy and nowhere near the clearer ffb my g27 gave me,after a small test i did.

14. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

For me its not a sign of anything, jsut typing t500 Assetto Corsa Drift into youtube you'll find lots of people who drift really-really well with it. In this context, blaming Kunos, FF, Thrustmaster, is like blaming mirror for being ugly :) Not something Wally is guilty of btw - he was honest and said that drifting's more involved than he thought and he just couldnt be bothered.

Kristaps likes this.
  15. Claudio,i can drift all day long with ease in AC but i still find that the ffb is lacking -muddy- and has a ''fundamental'' flaw in it -the high force you have to apply to bring the wheel at the center position-.

So at which mirror should i look to have my ''problems'' fixed?

Should i blame my perception for something that is there and creates a discomfort?

Shouldnt Kunos and the dev team be aware and curious about why some dedicated and long time nK users are a bit displeased with one of the main selling points for me in nK and as such in AC also?

16. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

No, you just said that Wally's problems were a warning sign - I only argued against that. As far as FF force needed to bring wheel to centre position - if it's an issue, lets just make a thread on this, maybe marking it as an "Issue" and focus discussion there. It's interesting to me as well as I am considering to buy t500 for nothing more but learning to drift :) But so far, all the youtube vids do not show any major difficulties with high forces, people who can drift do so and say it feels great. If it doesnt, you guys with T500 should make a thread and find someone with RL drifting experience and talk about forces there. Should be a good thread (no sarcasm) :)

17. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

Guys are drifting with an Xbox controller too, doesn't mean the FFB is perfect...

xtremepsionic likes this.
  18. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

This is not what I said ;)

19. zelimper

zelimper Staff Member

lol I dint know the car racers used the term tankslappers...... well atleast they aren't as painfull as on a bike..... :)

20. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

Maaan, I just found out that I was driving with ABS ON all this time! I turned it off in the menu, but it doesn't mean anything! You need to press Ctrl+A INGAME to turn it off - every time you drive. Traction Control - not sure if that turns off in menu either as its not as easy to check _ at least I don't know how. But it also turns off with Ctrl+T.

I cant imagine how many users were confused and still are confused with this. You turn off something in game menu, but it doesnt count somehow. Don't know if its a bug... Are there any other "helping" systems that we need to know about?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]