1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Teach me- avoiding tank slappers (snap back oversteer)?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by claudiopolez, Dec 18, 2013.

1. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

Hello all,

First of all- fantastic job, Kunos! The best game of the last few years as far as I am concerned!

I'm learning the physics of cars and stumbled across this issue- just about all slides end up in a "tank slapper" snap back oversteer. Could you kindly help me out?

I made a quick vid with 5 cases of snapbacks (sometimes the entry/exit speeds and angles are different, but result is nearly always the same :)).
    Do I basically repeat the same mistake in all of the 5 cases in the video? Or are there several different issues?

Video:

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Gameplay Need a guide or spotter to teach us how to use pitstop opitions Jun 11, 2019
    Chit Chat Room When I teach my nephew 8 years old Drift in AC, I can't believe it !!! May 20, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Is it possible to teach the AI how to drift? Apr 12, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Mclaren f1 gtr - teach me how to tune this beast @_@ Aug 26, 2015
    ACC Controls & Peripherals 1.0.7 Loss of FFB During Game-play T500RS Sep 10, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Racing in an ACC public server for the first time-a tale of promise. Jun 9, 2019
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Pausing in game-play Dec 4, 2016
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Impact with other cars or barriers can cause frame-stuttering Sep 8, 2016
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Sudden frame-skips for no reason Aug 9, 2015
    Suggestions [feature-request] steam in-home-streaming Feb 13, 2014

3. Ethan Dean

Ethan Dean Hardcore Simmer

You're keeping the countersteer on way too long. It might take some practice, but you need to sense when the car's about to regain grip from a slide. As soon as it starts to, you need to ease off on the countersteer and bring the wheel back straight. It's tricky, as you need to anticipate the point of grip returning (this is where snapback starts for you) and straighten the wheel at pretty much the exact point it does. But once you nail it, your straightening the wheel and the car straightening itself will be in perfect synchronization. Right now you're just holding that countersteer far too long. Hope this helps :)

4. Bailey

Bailey Alien

I too had this problem for a long time. You cannot be afraid the literally wrench the wheel in the other direction to be able to catch yourself. None of that "smooth" stuff works if it is too slow. Another thing that really helped me out was this. Instead of reacting to the movement of the car you have to tell the car where to go. I don't now if it is easy or hard to understand that, but once it is understood then you got the golden ticket. I found a recording of myself recovering from going too deep in the esses at Silverstone.

The tankslapper should have been right before I turned right for the second time. The reason why it did not was because I said in my mind that I want to go THAT way, so I MAKE the car got that way. If I had waited for the car to react first then I would have been fighting the inertia, suspension, body roll, and who knows what else. I hope this helps.

~Bailey

pablex13 and claudiopolez like this.
  5. Qusso

Qusso Racer

Well as I mentioned in this topic : https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...de-drift-comparison-with-new-rf-nsx-mod.3874/
    I think there is something not 100% correct with the grip yet , especially on front wheels .
    But according to your movie I agree in some of this cases you hold countersteer for too long

6. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

Thanks very much for your replies! They really help, in particular, I was not sure if its the steering wheel, or the too much/too little gas that was causing this, but you never mention the gas pedal (green bar in the vid), so i assume that my work with the gas is ok'ish.

About the recovery - I find that I have to fight the force feedback when I try to counter steer the second time. The first full lock is easy to turn the wheel (to correct the slide), but the second part- recovery/exit the slide I have to fight it and it slows me down. But I know what i need to work on now- thank you!!!

7. Ethan Dean

As a general rule, the more the rear tires are spinning, the less grip the rear has. You had very little throttle in when you snapped back, which caused the tires to regain grip and throw you off. With the throttle you can pretty much control when the rear tires regain their grip, which makes my previous point of anticipating the return of adhesion a lot easier so that you can more easily adjust the countersteer to suit.

claudiopolez and Robilon like this.
  8. Robilon

Robilon Racer

This is one of the reasons everyone should get to racing simulators before entering real life roads. These games really helps you with the basics of understanding a car.
    Some people just don't know what to do when grip is lost...
    Lots of lives and misused cars would be saved if racing sims was mandatory, and even speed limits could be something more sensible :D

HackMac, claudiopolez and Kristaps like this.
  9. Ethan Dean

^Agreed. First time I hopped into a real car to take it for a drive, all my sim experience transferred flawlessly. Full manual gearbox, too.

10. felix0888

felix0888 Gamer

This video really helped me:

As Ethan said the amount of throttle while holding the drift and when going out of the drift ist very important as well. As far is can tell your were constantly getting slower during your drifts. Try a slower approach without flicking the car into a slide. Instead apply a certain steering angle and the give it a burst of throttle to initiate the drift. Then try to maintain the speed. I oftentimes end the drift under full throttle or near full throttle.

claudiopolez likes this.
  11. Stereo

Stereo Alien

I find I'm fighting my wheel both ways (it's a DFGT) which sorta makes the FF less helpful since I'm already pushing so hard against it that I don't get any nuance. It's not necessarily productive to compare to other games, but while countersteering I've previously found it has a 'loose' space when the front wheels are pointing in the direction of slide, and I just apply a little force the same as I would in normal cornering, and it naturally returns to center as the slide angle decreases.

I don't know if I have the FF configured wrong though, I think it's at ~80% overall force, 0% damping/centering, and default on AC's other settings.

12. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

These are my settings (DFP=DFGT predecessor). They are very good, I copied them from some Kunos team member in some part and from a very fast member in other, force feedback is informative and I only have to fight it straighten the car out, not sure if its the same on wheels with faster FF. But I'm not yet at apoint where I balme the wheel for my troubles :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Thanks, it's much better now. I'm still terrible at low-speed drifting but that's something I can work on :p

claudiopolez likes this.
  14. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

For low speed drifting this is a great excercise- "manji drift" :) This vid shows wheel control, pedal work - really cool

pablex13 and mistery like this.
  15. Rodrigo Pires

Rodrigo Pires Simracer

go to 20min in the video.

Think about correction and recovery, you´re missing the recovery part.

pablex13, mistery, cooknn and 2 others like this.
  16. kalabaleek

kalabaleek Simracer

Fantastic thread! Thanks for sharing these to the community. The Skip Barber video is a very informative and timeless gem. :)

17. Bill

Bill Gamer

I use a Fanatec GT3 RS V2 and have the same problem. I've played with tons of settings, but I'm new to the wheel. I've drifted for a few years irl on the streets for a few hours nightly (shh ;)) and (sadly) with joystick in LFS for 6 years. I have a little bit of the snapback problem in LFS with the wheel, but it seems a bit easier to control. In Assetto, I can have a great drift going and at the end, the FFB is still kicking like a mule until out of nowhere, snap. Back end whips on me and spins me like a toy just like in the above clips. I don't know if there's a way to change the settings in the wheel to get it to feel more... real and not like turning a wall, but still have it be quick and responsive and not dead (the case with low FFB). Really my only problem is having to prepare for a 5 minute drift session as if I'm preparing for the gym. It's a damn workout the way it is. I love racing, but I much prefer drifting. I just can't get the wheel to be smooth, but quick.

18. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

Recovering from a slide in a ral car is pretty easy. In AC it's more of a chore since the FFB is not really helping you. Experiment with settingsthat feels good to you.

Also, try out LFS to see how it should be done.

19. gnr_tb

gnr_tb Racer

WOW look at his steering wheel ! It's like it's completely disconnected and you can turn it and it will keep turning, how does he do that ?

20. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

Fast FF is like that too, so its down to the wheel:

21. JocoG

JocoG Simracer

Regarding to 1st video, you get a slide, then you let off the gas during that slide(rear tires gaining more and more grip) and you don't use enough steering.