1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Teach me- avoiding tank slappers (snap back oversteer)?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by claudiopolez, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Requiem84

Requiem84 Simracer

Devs have stated (problaby about 10000 times) that this is as designed. Perhaps they should note it in the overview screen where you select which aids to use.

ABS is on for cars which also have ABS on irl by default (i.e; most road cars, soms race cars like Z4 GT3). ABS on is more realistic for these cars, as they are designed to use it.

By the way: this is off topic ;).

2. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

Well, its confusing UI at very least. Maybe once cars have dash indicators working this will be ok, but until then it is just confusing. We need to remember that 90% of users will not be regular forums readers.

Anyway, drifting is still hard, still spinning out all over the place or tank slapping all over the place.

The same guy who recommended using the Ctrl+A Ctrl+T also suggested turning Stability Control to 20% (in game options). This does make a very big difference, catching slides becomes similar to LFS, very few snapbacks and everything develops slower and more predictable. Not sure how realistic this is though, so the goal is to do it without :)

And yes, we need LFS like parking lot with placeable objects. Drift track is nice, but its roads are too narrow for beginners.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  3. Big Engine

Big Engine Simracer

Can I just make you note that the t500's drift videos posted are made by a (very talented) person that uses a strange wheel setup with 100% overall force? I'm saing that is strange cause Trusthmaster itself indicates 60% as the most linear value for t500's ffb. I tried that setup by myself and even if I didn't found it very good for regular track driving I must admit that is just amazing for drifting. I'm just wondering if keeping the force at 100% may wear the wheel too much . I also find very strange that to have a good speed you have to push the ffb over it's linear force

4. mistery

mistery Hardcore Simmer

This thread just made me blow ~2 seconds off my time in the E30 @ Magione. What an eyeopener! Thanks so much for the replies with vids, tips and even the controller setup screens gave me a new idea for my setup that made a huge impact on how the car feels and drives. Awesome!

It seems I was trying to be way too smooth with my throttle and steering which in my case = too slow to steer and too slow to accelerate.

claudiopolez likes this.
  5. softslider

softslider Racer

Yes, that's also what I feel. Normally people say turn steering wheel or press pedal softly or gently. This might be true but it doesn't mean slowly. On the limit, to make the car stable, sometimes we need to manipulate steering wheel or pedal(s) abruptly.

Once we think about walking man on single rope, his body seems stable but his arm is almost dancing to make his body stable on the rope. Most of things are relative.

6. Stereo

Stereo Alien

It's as designed but maybe explained badly.

The menu options (ABS/TC) will turn them on for every car, regardless of if they have the hardware. If they're disabled, it goes to whatever's default for the car. So anything modern pretty much has ABS on it.

7. cullinaire

cullinaire Rookie

I've got a different sort of problem: once the rear starts coming around, it continues to do so until I swap ends completely, no matter what I do. Even if I countersteer early and catch it (and floor the gas), the rear end inevitably slips more and more until I'm completely stopped. I've got both ABS and TC turned off; the car I'm using is the base E30.

8. mistery

mistery Hardcore Simmer

I had similar problems too and you will not believe how much wheel setup matters in that respect. I found that spending time on setup fixed many issues which I attributed to sloppy driving or (in my mind) questionable game mechanics.

9. cullinaire

cullinaire Rookie

I have a G27 and have set it up roughly according to the guidelines given on the forum:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I do have one last hurdle, and that is I'm running AC right now on processor graphics at a measly 40fps at 1024x768. I'm wondering if that affects the fine controls needed to properly execute a drift. I can "just drive" fine, but anything well beyond the limits is ... off limits for now.

10. mistery

mistery Hardcore Simmer

Consider their recommendation a baseline for your setup. I have a different wheel and when I found their setup I used that a while. Was much better than what I initially came up with but had room for improvement as I found out last night. I believe your Wingman settings don't matter much as you allow the game to override them. Also try toying with centering spring strength. That seemed to help a lot in my case.

That performance at that resolution is cause for concern. You bought a great wheel but will not invest in decent PC components? You might have considerable input lag too because of your PCs performance. I think it is time to buy a vid card at least :).

11. cullinaire

cullinaire Rookie

A vid card is next on my list for sure - have to take things slowly when the income isn't very high.

12. sinbad

sinbad Racer

AC doesn't like lower frame rates in my experience. If I were you, and as ropey as it might look, drop the resolution even further. You won't be able to enjoy the graphics no matter what, so get the framerate to a reasonable level if possible. Without a good framerate and the last trace of input lag (*waits for the forum police) gone, AC is not enjoyable. I'd even say drive from the bumper cam if you can deal with it. Enjoy the physics and when you get the gpu, then you can enjoy the graphics.

mistery likes this.
  13. Bnito

Bnito Rookie

For me the biggest thing that helped was buying a new wheel. I've driven sims the past 2 years with dfgt and i bought the new Thrustmaster TX wheel and the ffb in ac with the TX wheel was totally different. So fast and so smooth. Drifting became twice as easy as it was. The problem with the dfgt is that it is simply too slow to keep up with the fast changes in steering direction (same aplies to the older version dfp).

I honestly practised like crazy to be able to drift with dfgt and made some success but i personally couldn't drift with it aswell as i can with the TX wheel. Another problem with dfgt was that there is some sort of spring activated in AC or some other force, what it does is that it makes the wheel very stiff to turn in the opposite direction your rear end is trying to go.

14. Is the force required to return the wheel to center high with the TX,cause with the t500 its crazy resistant?Also could you post your settings if its indeed easier to return the wheel to center -both drivers and in game-

thanks in advance

15. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

1. Don't "floor it" to catch, add "little bit of power" (quoting from Skip BArber training video (@21:10) on first page).
    2. E30 *I think* has 1080 degrees lock to lock, which means your 900 deg wheel is not sufficient. E92 M3 is 900deg which is what most our wheels have. This is also discussed elsewhere in forums, but if you set your wheel to less then what the car has in real life, AC does not interpolate steering angles. https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/degrees-of-rotation-frustation.1649/
    To drive E30 you need to increase steering gamma but that would make steering unlinear. So just use Z4 or E92 and other cars for now I guess- while we wait for steering ratios option (it is worked on by devs, confirmed). I'm also waiting for this option as 900 is just too much for my DFP, its FF is just too slow. I need 720 lock-to-lock as an absolute max and maybe even practice with 540 to start with.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  16. Skazz

Skazz Racer

I spent the last few weeks teaching myself to drift with AC using my G25.

I am running 900 degrees, 101% force in profiler with all other settings on zero, then my in game profile has 85% gain and everything else zero, linear steering gamma, default brake gamma.
    The E30 drift setup is by far the easiest to drift, I can drift with full lock and exit drifts comfortably now after only a few hours serious practice. It helps a lot that the G25 is so easy to spin, makes pulling the wheel back to center to exit the drift easy. It spins just about fast enough to just let go when entering the drift.

On the other hand, my T500RS is a lot more difficult to drift with because it's so much more powerful. After much tweaking I am now using 60/100/100/0/0 in the Thrustmaster drivers, then 50% gain in game with damping/filter on zero and all fake effects off. This spins the wheel a bit faster than the G25 (but nowhere near maximum) and lightens it up compared to higher FFB. It's reasonable to learn with because you can correct relatively easily.... But I assume I'll gradually change settings as I get better at throttle control.

One big tip: I discovered that at first I was tapping the brake out of habit if I felt the drift get out of control or if I wanted to exit the drift. This was causing me to constantly spin out instead of cleanly exiting the drift.... Once I took my left foot off the pedals completely I suddenly found I could control the drift way better.

17. I just wanted to report back.

I had been having a terrible time drifting several weeks ago. I mean really awful. I could rarely get the stupid thing to slide and when I did, I would slap-slalom back and forth down the track. I'd be lucky to score a few hundred points.

I gave up for a bit on drifting and I turned my focus to other things. I got the itch to do a bit of rally work and downloaded the latest RBR 2014. Then I finally took the time to set up my wheel for a (more) realistic degree of rotation (~475). I began running stages and found myself working really hard to stay up on the wheel. In order to get through an RBR stage you need to be really be slow on the throttle but very aggressive and quick with the wheel.

Maybe this isn't the best style for driving stages but PRESTO!, it taught me to drift (better at least). I can now comfortably get some nice slides and score around 10k drifting the beamers (E30 or M5). I know you all were with me until I mentioned my score but regardless I am having a blast now!

Now, I concentrate more on popping the throttle, understanding when to ask for more torque, and be quicker than I think I need to be on the wheel....and stay off the brakes!

EDIT:

Bailey likes this.
  18. Piner

Piner Gamer

It amazing to me how much harder it is to drift in this game than real life. I am pretty damn good at it in a real car (see video below) but for the life of me cannot do it in AC at all lol. Its like completely relearning. The cars just snap soooo hard, nothing how im used to at all. I've tried alot of setups on my wheel (Trustmaster TX) and i've got the wheel to feel alright but I can only get through a corner if im lucky. I tank slap all over the place. I don't think I've ever been in a car that is as touchy on throttle as the cars in this game. I don't know how you guys are able to do it. I guess I just need to stick with it till I get it.

This is some in car from my last trip to Japan.Just to prove im not talking out of my *** here acting like some internet drift king.

Bailey likes this.
  19. iVG

iVG Alien

Good drifting there. I think after 0.15 patch the rear end of most cars moves much more freely and progressively. Have you tried ddrifting since then?
    Confusion also comes from much lower FOV and lack of G forces in the game which makes the whole drifting thing a guesswork. Some people's brains are good with only the visual clues others', not so much. You just have to learn to rely mostly on your eyes when the rear is about to regain traction. Look for the angle between the nose if the car and the road. Constantly keep it in check once you acknowledge the fact that you're in a corner and there is a chance of the rear stepping out.
    Also turn down all the sounds except tyre noise and then manually bring the volume up through your sound system. This will give you some nice feedback of the tyres.

20. Piner

Piner Gamer

Yeah I was out spinning out continuously just prior to my post lol. The update didn't help me at all haha. I get it but I am pretty decent at it with a gamepad, The visual cues I can deal with when im using a controller. I think its just all the unusual stuff I feel through the wheel. Just doesn't feel natural I guess and it is hard to read. I tried turning the force feedback way down to cut down on the weird stuff but it doesn't seem to help. Idk I guess I just need more practice but it is waaaayyy harder to drift with a wheel than a gamepad for me and like 10X harder than real life. At least to me.